Repotting the PEOY

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnyr5

Reaction score
Noodliness is getting to be a lot to manage. Moving it from a 20 liter tub to a 32 liter tub.
received_594630209435266~2.jpeg
that's a 7in pot on the bottom left.
received_1910248722682671.jpeg
The all-important root ball, the reason my plants don't die.
IMG_20230610_115200366.jpg
You can get a better sense of scale on the table, which is 44in wide.

I need a nap now.

Wow, massive! So it looks like you are putting it in a bigger pot, not dividing? I've been wondering if a big plant like this can just continue expanding to larger pots as it grows and grows, or if at some point you need to divide.

I had a similar "all day event" repotting my Bel Royal. I kept thinking, "I wish I just grew Parvis." And "this is why we are switching away from sphagnum ". It was a long Sunday.

Attachments

• 20230604_135933.jpg
    20230604_135933.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Why does it need to divide? The original growth and roots from 2016 are still there.
Also * looks at his Shun-Fa golden in a 40 x 25 x 20cm tub * growing parvis won't save you.

But as for a theoretical maximum size, it should be possible to get 20+ spikes at once on these things.

Why even bother with a pot at this point? Why not just wrap the root ball in cheesecloth, back the sides with some live moss and then rest the beast in a large dish with daily watering. Like how bonsai growers make these:
15906ca00d95e348c3e3806622339542.jpg

Last edited:
Why does it need to divide? The original growth and roots from 2016 are still there.
Also * looks at his Shun-Fa golden in a 40 x 25 x 20cm tub * growing parvis won't save you.

But as for a theoretical maximum size, it should be possible to get 20+ spikes at once on these things.
Oh I wasn't saying it needed to be divided, I was just pondering if there is ever a point where one would want to divide to avoid rotting the middle part (or for some other reason).

Why even bother with a lot at this point? Why not just wrap the root ball in cheesecloth, back the sides with some live moss and then rest the beast in a large dish with daily watering. Like how bonsai growers make these:
I was concerned that the old sphagnum in the middle would hold too much water and rot out the plant. Next time I'll try this approach.

Why even bother with a pot at this point? Why not just wrap the root ball in cheesecloth, back the sides with some live moss and then rest the beast in a large dish with daily watering. Like how bonsai growers make these:
I think it would collapse under its own weight at this point, as it weighs around 20lbs with the media washed off. It's a special and valuable plant with insane flowers, so I'm sticking with what I know makes it happy. I don't see any reason it couldn't work, though, if you grew it that way from a young plant on up.

Oh I wasn't saying it needed to be divided, I was just pondering if there is ever a point where one would want to divide to avoid rotting the middle part (or for some other reason).
I'm sure it will eventually need to be divided, but with coarse enough media and careful watering, you can keep those old growths alive for a very long time.

Back