Removing chlorine and chloramine

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papheteer

Reaction score
Do u guys think using water conditioners used for aquariums to remove chlorine and chloramine would work for water used for slippers? Since getting an RO system is not an option right now I was thinking that getting rid of of those two chemicals would improve my culture a little bit. Has anybody tried this before? Thanks!!

You want to use chemicals to treat chemicals?....

I use an R.O. filter ($150+/-) and then let the water sit to let the remaining chemicals gas off.

Just put the water in an open container and let it sit for a day or 2 and the chlorine will evaporate. I do the same for watering mine and I do not have (m)any problems...! ;)

You want to use chemicals to treat chemicals?....

I use an R.O. filter ($150+/-) and then let the water sit to let the remaining chemicals gas off.

Using activated carbon and catalytic carbon to remove chlorine and chloramine is not exactly using "chemicals to treat chemicals" -- it's a more of a process of filtration. This should be done as a prefiltration step for any RO system using a TFC membrane which will be processing chlorinated source water since chlorine attacks and degrades TFC membranes.

On the other hand, RO systems using CTA membranes are actually prone to rotting unless they are used with chlorinated source water. It's important to know the difference when choosing your RO system. With CTA membrane systems you would want to place your chlorine-removing and chloramine-removing carbon filters inline after the water has already passed through the RO membrane.

Chlorine evaporates over time. It's important to note that chloramine does not. Chloramine is very persistent in water and it is lethal to fish. Removing chlorine and chloramine from your water may in fact help improve your culture. It may also increase the chances your plants will contract bacterial infections such as erwinia. This is the great dilemma. It would be interesting to hear what other slipper growers have to say regarding the use of chlorinated water vs the use of nonchlorinated/dechlorinated water.
:)

On the other hand, RO systems using CTA membranes are actually prone to rotting unless they are used with chlorinated source water. It's important to know the difference when choosing your RO system. With CTA membrane systems you would want to place your chlorine-removing and chloramine-removing carbon filters inline after the water has already passed through the RO membrane.

Chlorine evaporates over time. It's important to note that chloramine does not. Chloramine is very persistent in water and it is lethal to fish. Removing chlorine and chloramine from your water may in fact help improve your culture. It may also increase the chances your plants will contract bacterial infections such as erwinia. This is the great dilemma. It would be interesting to hear what other slipper growers have to say regarding the use of chlorinated water vs the use of nonchlorinated/dechlorinated water.

Interesting....thanks!

Using activated carbon and catalytic carbon to remove chlorine and chloramine is not exactly using "chemicals to treat chemicals" -- it's a more of a process of filtration. This should be done as a prefiltration step for any RO system using a TFC membrane which will be processing chlorinated source water since chlorine attacks and degrades TFC membranes.

Totally agree.

Many orchid growers in Nashville are using dechlorinated tap water (using carbon for dechlorination) with great success.

Rick, what about the use of dechlorinators for aquariums? Would they work?

The most common dechlorinator is sodium thiosulfate. For the amount needed to break down a few ppm of chloramine its not a problem at all for plants (or just about anything else).

If you use a TDS meter, you should not see an appreciable difference before and after adding thiosulfate. If you are seeing a big jump in TDS then you are probably overdosing.

Rick, what about the use of dechlorinators for aquariums? Would they work?
The most common dechlorinator is sodium thiosulfate. For the amount needed to break down a few ppm of chloramine its not a problem at all for plants (or just about anything else).

If you use a TDS meter, you should not see an appreciable difference before and after adding thiosulfate. If you are seeing a big jump in TDS then you are probably overdosing.

:clap: Excellent information! Thanks for making these inquiries, papheteer, and thanks to Rick for your input! This is all very useful information for all of us!

I've used the chems to take chlorine out of my aquarium water and had asked the fish people if my plants would have any problem (orchids getting fishy water), and they said 'no, you have aquarium plants and fish in the water and they aren't affected, so shorter contact on my orchids also wouldn't be a problem'.

Since my tap water is pretty 'clean' (low solids), I think I see more problems because I mist/splash with the chlorinated water, than if I used the aquarium chemical to take it out. I also have a big cup of water that I let sit a few days that I use for my phrag in the kitchen window

I water my plants with warm NYC water, straight from the tap. No problems with that at all. However, a cheaper alternative to RO is the Tap Water Purifier sold by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, available from any pet supply place. Its simply a deionizer cartridge that hooks up to your faucet. Its not practical for hard water, but for soft, clean water, a cartridge can easily last 4 or more months. I use it for my reef tank top-off water, as NYC water has trace amounts of orthophosphate that build up in a tank over time.

I know I remove it for several reasons....On the plant side... I use RO for my orchids and chlorine will kill a membrane very quick. Also I run a separate carbon filter system to remove chlorine because I use biologicals for my other plants(and orchids) and chlorine and monochloramine with kill them. I will soon be going to RO for my whole yard as I found out about two weeks ago the my water district uses a water softening process.

I also use remove it for health reasons.....

I know I remove it for several reasons....On the plant side... I use RO for my orchids and chlorine will kill a membrane very quick. Also I run a separate carbon filter system to remove chlorine because I use biologicals for my other plants(and orchids) and chlorine and monochloramine with kill them. I will soon be going to RO for my whole yard as I found out about two weeks ago the my water district uses a water softening process.

I also use remove it for health reasons.....

Right, I remove it because the chlorine will kill my RO membrane, and I produce food-grade potable water which is for my own consumption as well as for use on my plants -- but I'm still curious -- does chlorine itself (and/or chloramine) at levels found in municipal water actually harm orchid plants? Does anyone know?

Latest posts

Back