Reluctant and Moody Tranlieanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PS as a fly, you must be aware the nicotinic residues that may endanger your state of affairs !
Great post, thank you! I was a goner the first time I saw cool-growing orchidariums with cuthbertsoniis and masdevallias at the NYC International Orchid Show - back before 9/11 when they were held at the Winter Garden. I'm designing an artificial light table for my downstairs playroom at the moment. 73 x 40 with portable tracklight spots. I think I'm going to use it for cattleyas, but an orchidarium for true cool growing species is in the back of my mind, nagging me. What a playground that would be!
I don't have the true visual scope of your growing space, but I'm getting that it's far more expansive (and customized) that I imagined. Cudos to you, from a comparative dilettante. (Thanks to my parents, I'm relatively nicotine tolerant)

Great post, thank you! I was a goner the first time I saw cool-growing orchidariums with cuthbertsoniis and masdevallias at the NYC International Orchid Show - back before 9/11 when they were held at the Winter Garden. I'm designing an artificial light table for my downstairs playroom at the moment. 73 x 40 with portable tracklight spots. I think I'm going to use it for cattleyas, but an orchidarium for true cool growing species is in the back of my mind, nagging me. What a playground that would be!
I don't have the true visual scope of your growing space, but I'm getting that it's far more expansive (and customized) that I imagined. Cudos to you, from a comparative dilettante. (Thanks to my parents, I'm relatively nicotine tolerant)
If you have the heart and passion, anything is possible! You never know what is humanly achievable until you dip your feet into the intricate maze of creating your growing space with specific ecological niche, especially one that can harbor the cool growers that you crave. In the words of Nelson Mandela who said "It always seems impossible until it's done'! Dilettante or not.

Here are the measurements:

Natural spread 8 cm
Vertical height 9.5 cm
Dorsal sepal 5 cm W x 5 cm L
Petals 4.5 cm L x 1.2 cm W
Pouch 3 cm W x 4.5 cm L

I think it's close to Minion.

Here are the measurements:

Natural spread 8 cm
Vertical height 9.5 cm
Dorsal sepal 5 cm W x 5 cm L
Petals 4.5 cm L x 1.2 cm W
Pouch 3 cm W x 4.5 cm L

I think it's close to Minion.
Bigger than when it was awarded, but about the same size as it blooms as an adult. Shame there's no judging :-(

Was Minion from Taiwan breeding too? I think you said you grew out a flask?
I got it from Parkside before they closed as an unbloomed adult. It was Miao Hua something or other x sib. I collaborated with Woodstream to do an outcross to one of Bill's awarded clones, those are the flasklings I'm growing out.

Back