Reluctant and Moody Tranlieanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was referring to this - can't quite tell from the little bit of foliage visible...
View attachment 24914
That one is a vietnamense from Piping Rock, a little guy. The others around him are x fanaticums.

If you look behind the tranlienianum, you will see the larger vietnamenses on back right.

Wow that was my favorite one in the awards ('Minion #12)! Thanks for reminding me the reason why I looked for one with a green umbo. It was because of your flower lol.

Hopefully I can secure a division from you in the future.

So to confirm, the dorsal on yours also took a while to open up to natural incurve turret position?

Also #12 means you had others?

It was the twelfth plant in my collection at the time, as I had just started growing again after ending a bad relationship with someone who pressured me into giving it up. It lives with my friend, Tyler, in CA now, along with most of my other awarded stud plants that got too big for a bedroom lol.

And yes, the dorsal took quite a while to lift. I suspect the other flowers will nearly be clones of minion.

It was the twelfth plant in my collection at the time, as I had just started growing again after ending a bad relationship with someone who pressured me into giving it up. It lives with my friend, Tyler, in CA now, along with most of my other awarded stud plants that got too big for a bedroom lol.

And yes, the dorsal took quite a while to lift. I suspect the other flowers will nearly be clones of minion.
It is never a good sign for a partner when they try to separate orchids from you. It's like tearing your soul apart. No one but other orchidophiles can truly understand that pain.

I hope the plants are doing well in their foster home. Will you be getting divisions back now that you have cast away the reason you gave them away?

Also are you restarting indoor growing or greenhouse?

Oh, that was a long time ago. I gave Tyler my stud plants of my own free will. He simply has more room than me...well...he did lol.

So today I stacked the flower and it looks better. The dorsal seems to be expanding. Still wonky lol.
The green umbo is so cool. I'm calling him 'Cyclops' 😆.
Let's see what the other two buds might do.

Love the name 'Cyclops' for that one!

Today I notice that the first older wonky flower started to age into a maroon red! How interesting. I wonder if some of the reddish ones we see are because they were older flowers?

20210210_073047.jpg20210210_073128.jpg20210210_073255.jpg20210210_073150.jpg

Compare with the second fresher bloom (time difference of about 3 weeks):

20210208_181655.jpg

Last edited:
beautiful jungle!
I wish I'd said that. It's what I felt but didn't have the words. I can't imagine what it would be like to keep all of those diverse orchids happy at the same time and in the same place. I'd like to be a fly on the wall and just observe a week in the life of Dr. Leslie.

I wish I'd said that. It's what I felt but didn't have the words. I can't imagine what it would be like to keep all of those diverse orchids happy at the same time and in the same place. I'd like to be a fly on the wall and just observe a week in the life of Dr. Leslie.
Thanks Masaccio 😊.

It feels like a jungle sometimes with all these plants from different continents growing in each sectional microclimate zones at my place. Each shelf has their own temperature and humidity range.

By the balcony door, left, the lower shelf can go to 13.5C nights while the shelf above maintains 18C nights, a mere 2 feet above! The lower shelf is where all the cool paphs go (like this tranlienianum and villosums as well as Hercules goes). The warm shelf above is where all the novelty phals go (like Panda).

On the other side of the balcony door (right), the nights on the coldest nights (like tonight at minus 14C), usually keeps at 16-17C. The catts are here like the labiata, trianae and warneri (warneri on the warm end further from door). Above shelf has 18C nights, so my warmer minicatts like Gene Crocker and araguaiensis are gleefully growing.

The top shelf of my main area is 22C nights all year (great for the leucochilums and exuls). This area saved the hot loving paphs.

Of course the winerium is my proudest achievement to grow thriving cuthbersoniis! It is always 12C at night and 22C in daytime, with 98% humidity throughout the year.

In essence I can find a zone in my area where any (well most lol) orchid can grow with their specific requirements. As long as space doesn't run out, I can fit a new one(s) in lol.

So as you can see, my little piece of jungle is my slice of heaven.

My favorite line to my critics:

'In my defense, I was left unsupervised'.

😇😊😂

PS as a fly, you must be aware the nicotinic residues that may endanger your state of affairs !

Back