Reluctant and Moody Tranlieanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, this plant is testing my patience more than I realized.

Not only have I waited since early October when the teenie buds were spotted (never mind it skipping a year of blooming), it has decided to keep the first flower semi-opened for a week, worrying me.

Finally today it cracked slightly more open to show the staminode, still not fully open. I just want to scream lol.

IMG-20210107-WA0035.jpeg20210107_170323.jpgIMG-20210107-WA0032.jpeg20210117_181205.jpg20210117_181218.jpg

How long must I wait?? :rolleyes: Maybe he's just trying to coordinate with the other two buds... hmmm.

At least the flower is dark with brilliant emerald green umbo on the staminode!

Leslie, can't remember that blossoming out of my P. tranlienianum took sooooo much time.....but you and I, we both know, sometimes your remembrance plays tricks with you.

so far to this point, none of the tranlienianum I growed ever rebloom , so the fact that you are blooming one is an accomplishment .

So, this plant is testing my patience more than I realized.

funny thread... separate topic about your first photo...

am i seeing one of Glenn Deckers' micranthums in bud in the bottom left corner?... if so, is that your first flowering ?... i have a couple from that same collection also and hoping to see see some flowers this year..

funny thread... separate topic about your first photo...

am i seeing one of Glenn Deckers' micranthums in bud in the bottom left corner?... if so, is that your first flowering ?... i have a couple from that same collection also and hoping to see see some flowers this year..
These are actually x fanaticums from Sam, still on strike lol. Actually 3 of them, plus a lonely vietnamense with them in the tray.

I bought plant in bloom lol. Sorry re confusion. Dorsal was normal then (2 years ago).

The area has gentle air flow 24-7 with winter T range of 25C days and 13-16C nights. The humidity range is 30-60% depends when I spray. A window 2 feet away with cool wind slightly open all day.

Under those conditions, all the cool paphs like charlesworthii, coccineum, fairrieanums, henryanums, villosums etc open flowers normally. See pic below today with all the gang:

20210118_173159.jpg

So that's why I think he's just moody lol.

Last edited:
Leslie, its a nice one !

And as said before, mine was developing bud and flower very slowly, too, under natural light.

That's just how they are, in my experience. Opening happens in suuuper slow motion.
Thanks for the advice from Tnyr and Werner attesting to the slow bud formation of this cute species.

And Hien, I thought that it would never bloom as it skipped a year. So I'm grateful that it threw 3 buds out.

And thanks everyone for the kind advice to nurture these buds along.

Back