Reef Tank Progression

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon in SW Ohio

Reefer, the legal kind
Reaction score
I thought this was neat, wish I would have taken photos of the progress of my plant growing areas now. They go from the start of the tank to tonight.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

________
Honda VT250F history

Last edited:
Heather said:
People are always telling me to remove the datestamp from my photos, but it's there for a reason! So I can track the changes. Geesh.

I thought it was because you couldn't figure out how to shut it off. :)

Jon, I can see how your tastes have changed from the beginning until now. I can tell when you got into the little mushroom type corals, because certain larger corals are not in the photos anymore.

Are your fish and shrimp hiding in the last photo, or were they banished?

nice tank Jon love the additions. What happen to the green fan thingy on the back right? wheres the nudi is it dead yet? Whats the white grid thing on the left?

I've been saving these for background on puter so I can enjoy them everyday without the hassel of changing the water etc. :rollhappy:

Mainly the corals that are no longer there weren't very nice to my other corals or were susceptible to warfare from corals I liked more and didn't want to watch them slowly get stung to death so they got traded for other stuff I collect. The clam really belonged in a much bigger and brighter tank and was sucking calcium out of the tank faster than I could supply it and stirring up the sand and jumping onto other corals. He was the hardest thing I had to give up, but I still visit him every week and WOW does he look good at the coral greenhouse he now resides in (approx. 1000gal tank with full afternoon sun).

Funny thing about the datestamp...first pic was taken with the old camera, and I can't figure out how to turn it ON on the new camera(I like knowing when the pics were taken too).

The last pic was taken last night around 3 in the morning. The lights had been off for a few hours and I turned them back on for the pic. The fish and shrimps are still there and healthy as ever, but a little mad at me for waking them up and stayed hidden in the rockwork.

The white thing on the side is a temporary prop tray made out of eggcrate. I've been trading a lot of frags lately and needed more room for them to grow out so I made a simple hang on tray. Here it is from the top with some frags going out Tuesday:
126_2604.jpg

I apologize for the quality of the last two pics. Ever since I upgraded to a metal halide the tank GLOWS incredibly in person, but it completely screws up the metering on the camera. I also recently added a protein skimmer, which is basically a big cylinder of water with an incredible amount of tiny bubbles bubbling through it from the bottom to the top. When they reach the top they create a nasty brown foam that overflows into a collection cup. The bubbles pick up all the dissolved organic matter which pollute your water, and the skimmer is one of the most effective means of filtration available to a saltwater tank. Here's a crappy pic of it in action:
126_2609.jpg

And while I'm at it, another pic of the chesterfieldensis from the top. It came out blurry, but is closer to the neon color it is in person. It looks like a glowstick under a black light!
126_2614.jpg

Jon
________
FERRARI F50 GT SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited:
Jon in SW Ohio said:
Funny thing about the datestamp...first pic was taken with the old camera, and I can't figure out how to turn it ON on the new camera(I like knowing when the pics were taken too).

We are so misunderstood....:(

Jon in SW Ohio said:
I've been trading a lot of frags lately and needed more room for them to grow out so I made a simple hang on tray. Here it is from the top with some frags going out Tuesday...

Um, Jon? hate to break it to you, but those aren't Phrags, and you're spelling it wrong. :poke:

:D

Heather said:
Um, Jon? hate to break it to you, but those aren't Phrags, and you're spelling it wrong. :poke:

:rollhappy: On the coral forums when I show my Phragmipediums they give me the same crap "Those aren't frags!" LOL They also found it funny that I do in fact frag my phrags.

Jon
________
Dispensaries

Last edited:
it looks like you are really enjoying your new hobby....hopefully someday I will get a look at this in person along with your orchids.

Nice photos. Makes me kind of miss my old reef tank. When I can afford a cool house near the beach and 2 or 3 wives to help me enjoy the tank maybe I'll re-invest in a reef system. :wink:

New pics of my purchases at the frag swap.

Blue Acropora tortuosa (ORA Blue Tort)
126_2663.jpg

Bright red Blastomussa on left, Orange Acanthastrea echinata on right
126_2671.jpg

The Tank Now(still haven't figured out how to correct the metering of the camera)
126_2677.jpg

Jon
________
Mazda 929 history

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back