Quantcast

Redlands Show

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

G

Grandma M

Have any of you gone to the show in Redlands? I'm thinking of going but I grow mostly slippers. Do they usually have slipper orchids there?

Is it worth flying down there from Michigan?

How do you get your plants home if you fly there?

likespaphs

some call me brian
Reaction score
i ain't never gone.
i would guess if you got plants in florida you could either ship or hand carry them back. there are some restrictions about bringing plants into florida (citrus for example) but as far as i know, orchids aren't on michigan's list....
i always used to think the redlands show was in california. don't know why....

I

Inverness

The Redlands event is not a typical orchid show. While there are plants there for AOS judging, it is really a big sale with over 40-50 vendors participating. There are no typical orchid displays like you would see at a traditional show. Lot's to buy, and while paphs are available (mostly species),the overall mix is oriented to south Florida orchid growers. Very wide variety with lot's of unique things offered particularly from non-US vendors. This event is very well attended & lot's of great food. Be prepared to walk lot's and enjoy the heat. I pack my purchases in my checked luggage and have never had any problems. But I do restrict myself to smaller, easy to pack items.

Ken Brewer

NYEric

Reaction score
I've never been to the Redlands but I hear it
s HOT!!! I carry purchases back from Orlando on the plane in boxes or shopping bags marked "Live Orchid Hybrids' and never had problems.

Bob in Albany N.Y.

Reaction score
I went last year and bought plenty of slippers. Also bought a few vandas as well. I drove down. I was already on vacation in S. Carolina so what's another 12 hours to Miami? I went on Friday and it wasn't too crowded.

Last year I flew to an paph event in Florida. What I did was bring an extra hard bound suitcase. I took the time to wrap all of my plants in newspaper and then place them in the suitcase. I brought newspaper, tape both wide and 1". It did take time to wrap the plants but I brought home many with not one broken. Most were small in size with the exception of about a 12 growth plant that had two sequential flower spikes. To my surprise, even that one made it home with just a few bent flowers and no buds destroyed.

Oh yea, I also had a few wooden stakes to use. What I didn't have was some type of bating to protect the flowers. I ended up using toilet paper from the hotel. Thinking about it I should have got some batting used in making pillows from Wal Mart. Next time I'll bring some of that as well.

G

Grandma M

Bob

Did you hand carry your suit case. I would be afraid it might freeze in the regular baggage compartment.

Bob in Albany N.Y.

Reaction score
No I did not hand carry them. They went threw with the regular lungage. It was Nov. and I flew them from Florida to New York.

Redlands is in May so you shouldn't have any problems. I had no problems and would do it again. As a matter of fact I bought an even larger hard sided suitcase for my next trip. I carried back maybe 20 paphs. in 2 inch pots, a vanda, and a couple of larger paphs. in flower. I was thinking about driving down myself again this year. However things have been changed quickly at our house and now have my father-in-law with us. I think my wife and I will need a completly no hassel vacation this year. But, I might do the Paph International Forum again this year by myself in Orlanda, Fla. It was a good time.

Leo Schordje

wilted blossom
Reaction score
Been to Redlands twice. Everything Inverness said is right. Great sale to pick up species, many vendors in from central and south america. I only go when I have a few days and several hundred bucks burning a hole in my pocket. Haven't gone for a while, with gas at over $3 per gallon, I no longer have spare bucks.
If you are into tropical fruits, the Redlands event is held at the Fruit and Spice Park, a small arboretum devoted to tropical fruit. Be sure to taste some of the fruit growing in the trees. Sapadilla, Opo, Star Fruit, Passion Fruit, and on and on. Real fun when you need a break from spending yourself into the poor house. There is a fruit stand on the road from Homestead, stop there for a Smoothie made with fresh fruit. Mango smoothies were my favorite.

Hien

Reaction score
Leo Schordje said:
Been to Redlands twice. Everything Inverness said is right. Great sale to pick up species, many vendors in from central and south america. I only go when I have a few days and several hundred bucks burning a hole in my pocket. Haven't gone for a while, with gas at over $3 per gallon, I no longer have spare bucks.
If you are into tropical fruits, the Redlands event is held at the Fruit and Spice Park, a small arboretum devoted to tropical fruit. Be sure to taste some of the fruit growing in the trees. Sapadilla, Opo, Star Fruit, Passion Fruit, and on and on. Real fun when you need a break from spending yourself into the poor house. There is a fruit stand on the road from Homestead, stop there for a Smoothie made with fresh fruit. Mango smoothies were my favorite.
All the fruits that we used to have right in the back garden in the old country .
I really miss those.:sob:

C

couscous74

I should be at Redland all day everyday. If anyone is going, I'll be at Ooi Leng Sun's booth. Stop by and say Hi. :)

G

Grandma M

Would you believe my Granddaughter chose that time to get married? There goes my trip to Redlands. I had made arangements to to stay in Miami Lakes with my niece and she would drive there with me. :sob: :sob: :sob:

I

isaias m rolando

GOOD NEWS!!!!
Here at the Redlands Orchid Festival the trio CJM Orchids, Pipinrock and Tropical Laboratories made history again this afternoon at the AOS Judging sesion here.
The first hybrid to be awarded presented by Glen Decker, a Phrag kovachii X Phrag Cape Sunset was given an 80 points AM/AOS.
I had the honor to asist Greg Alikas taking the pictures for the AOS records. We will share them in a few more hours.
They made it again...
Congratulations to all of them
Isaias

I

isaias m rolando

More good news
Mr Alfredo Manrique informs hobbiests in Miami area that at CJM Booth # 6 at the Redland Festival, Glen Decker has joined him to present well grown seedlings of several PK hybrids. For the first time in the US, pearcei X PK and richterii X PK are offered here for sale.

B

British Bulldog

Florida!

So, you all think you might get to Florida!!!
If that is the case then you MUST go to the Slipper Forum.
Mary and I started it when we were there, then Jamie Lawson took it over.
I know he needs lots of support
SO GO!!!:poke:

It is always fun.
If you dont support him I might have to come back and kick some butts!!!!!!!

OR, how about visiting our British Paphiopedilum Society

We're the BEST!!!!!!!!!!:evil:
I love passionate paphs
Paul

Bob in Albany N.Y.

Reaction score
Last year was the first year that I went to the Paph Forum in Florida. I believe it was in Nov. It was great. The only dissapiointment is that Frank bowed out of having the breakfast and open house on Sunday. I've asked a few people about it this year and no one knows if indeed it is comming off. Naturally I want to know as soon as possible so I can book a cheaper flight. Matter of fact I asked Sam at Orchid Inn and Jason of Orchid Limited and neither of them knew if it was going to be held this year. I'll go if they have it.

Latest posts