Recycled a/c water is safe for orchids?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luca69

Reaction score
Dear friends
I have read discordant opinions about use of recycled water from an air conditioner. It's positioned in the greenhouse, so during summer months it produces more than 5 litres of water everyday. It helps me to keep inside temperature under 30 C and a fog system provides to keep right umidity. Usually I use rainwater or r/o to water orchids but during summer I need a lot of water.
What do you think? Can I use to water orchids or just to spray them?

Luca

Someone in my orchid society does this (with central air AC water).
I think dehumidifier water is also ok to use. Dehumidifier manufacturers caution do not use it for vegetables or for drinking purposes, so as long as you're not planning to eat your orchids, I think it should be ok. I think the main concern (at least from a marine aquarium perspective) is any copper that gets leached; but there are some things one can use to deal with trace metals.

I've heard of concerns with aluminum toxicity, but have never seen any evidence of it.

Go for it!

Last edited:
There can be metal contaminants but if this is 5 liters of water in a greenhouse full of plants it will never reach a problematic level as long as you spread it around and you are using other water sources too.

I've been using residential dehumifier water every other watering for severl years.

I dilute this water 50:50 with rain or municipal water without any apparent ill affect.

I have used dehumidifier water on my Den cuthbertsoniis every summer for years and they are very happy.

Back