Recommend me some compact Phrags

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Elena

I'm looking for some recommendations for easy, free flowering and compact Phrags. I only have one at the moment, a Jason Fischer so I'm open to any suggestions - red, green, white, pink Phrags, whatever, as long as they stay fairly small and don't require champagne and caviar to grace you with a flower :poke:

Besseae, schlimii and fischerii are medium sized plants. Phrag ecuadorense is small, as is Mexipedium xeriphyticum. Phrag Don Wimber starts blooming at the large end of medium size.

Thanks guys! I've had a very quick look and it appears that fischeri and hybrids are non-existent/thin on the ground in Europe.

I already have a mexi :wink: I could get Olaf Gruss

Any thoughts on these?

Beauport (Hanne Popow 4n x sargentianum)
Grouville (Eric Young 2n x Hanne Popow 2n – both flavum
Havre des Pas (Longueville 4n x Hanne Popow, using forma flavum, poss. 4n)
Plemont (Hanne Popow x dalessandroi)
Silver Rose (Saint Ouen (using forma flavum) x Hanne Popow ‘Isle of Jersey’)

I would say: besseae, pearcei, Olaf Gruss, Hanne Popow, Saint Ouen, lindenii, Carol Kanzer, schlimii

There are propably many more but I only have these to compare with the more large growing species/hybrids.

Thank you guys, that's fantastic! I'm going to look them up, see what I can buy here and hopefully get a varied little selection over the next few weeks.

Besseae, schlimii and fischerii are medium sized plants. Phrag ecuadorense is small, as is Mexipedium xeriphyticum. Phrag Don Wimber starts blooming at the large end of medium size.

I agree! You can include Phrag pearcei.

Ramon:)

Any thoughts on these?

Have you found these here in Europe?

...... Any thoughts on these?

I'd have to question Beauport, I have Mystique (x Barbara Leann) & it's one husky plant, so I have to wonder what it will be like in a couple of years.

Thank you Dot and Rose, definitely no to Beauport then.

Magicboy, those were taken from Ratcliffe's phrag list that's currently on their website.

Any thoughts on these?
I have all of these except the Plemont. The sargentianum and longifolium could make the first 3 get large. You can see a photo of my flavum Grouville in my WOC thread.
I agree w/ MagicBoy on the Carol Kanzer. I tried to contact paul Phillips to get the Plemont [because EYOF stuff is so hard to come by here] so if you can get it I would recommend it. And if you want to trade something for it let me know. :D PS. On the latest Rattecliff list I thought they were sold out?!?

They might well be sold out, I don't know how up to date the lists are on the website.

Carol Kanzer rings a bell, I think Ratcliffe had some last summer... Also my Koopowitz book arived this morning and there's a picture of Cardinale in it, looks cute.

Eric, I was talking to one of EYOF rep last summer at the Chelsea show, he said that a lot of their plants go to Burnham nursery here in UK. They don't put all their plants on the website so it's worth contacting them directly if there's something you are after. I think they'll ship internationally.

Elena, here is a picture of schlimii 'Wilcox' (A Cardinale) I have 4 growths in a 3" S/H pot and plenty of room for more growths. The flower is quite stunning in my opinion. I'm always happy to enable too :)

schlimiiwilcox.jpg

Latest posts

Back