Recirculating water table for phrag culture

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got an auto shut off kit to fill my 100l barrel. I only turn it on to fill when the barrel is empty though so the system isn't constantly topping up with little bits of water.

As well as filling the barrel for orchid and succulent watering, I also use the RO for an Amazonian aquarium. The waste water from this goes into an outdoor pond.

All the RO waste goes into my 1,000l Malawi aquarium and this then overflows to the outdoor pond.

The rainwater from most of the house roof is also diverted into the pond.

The pond overflows into a water butt to use for watering outdoor plants and then this butt overflows into a big garden.

Not a drop is wasted!

The Amazonian tank is still being set up but will take photos of the Malawi tank tomorrow and post in the non-orchids section.

I've got an auto shut off kit to fill my 100l barrel. I only turn it on to fill when the barrel is empty though so the system isn't constantly topping up with little bits of water.

As well as filling the barrel for orchid and succulent watering, I also use the RO for an Amazonian aquarium. The waste water from this goes into an outdoor pond.

All the RO waste goes into my 1,000l Malawi aquarium and this then overflows to the outdoor pond.

The rainwater from most of the house roof is also diverted into the pond.

The pond overflows into a water butt to use for watering outdoor plants and then this butt overflows into a big garden.

Not a drop is wasted!

Yeah, eventually I would like to do something like this. RO does waste a lot of water which is perfectly fine for other things. I also dabble with aquariums, but don't currently have one large enough to bother trying to tie it in. Looking forward to pics of your tanks!

What’s going to be in the Amazon tank? My dream tank is Asian arowanna with black diamond stingrays

The tank is 'only' 5ft long but nearly 3ft wide and 2ft deep. It'll have 4 other tanks linked in with quarantine and filtration so overall volume will be a little over 1,000 litres.

It will have wild or F1 angelfish, wild-type discus, catfish, tetras with a few pairs of dwarf cichlids. These might be the one thing that breaks the South American rule though - I fancy 2 or 3 pairs of Nanochromis transvestitus from West Africa.

It's going to have an open top with branches coming in and out of the water with some orchids and other plants out of the water in a riparium-style. This is one reason why it's taking so long to set up!

Latest posts

Back