Recently Joined

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi
My name is Don. I bought my first orchid in 1989 or 90. It was a Vuylstekeara Cambria Plush. I had never seen anything like it. I think it started to die the minute I got it home. I joined a club and grew orchids for a while but sort of lost interest after a while. In around 2 weeks I will be 65 so everything is a couple of years ago to me. A few years ago; which is longer, I became interested again. Over time I had become mostly interested in slipper orchids. At that time I had 2 Cats. and 3 Paphs. I had to get bark so I went to a show. Now I have 55 Paphs. 44 are species. I count x wenshanense and x fanaticum among them because as I said I am older and I do what I like. Up to a point anyway. I have 1 Phrag. Don Wimber, 1 Mxdm. xerophyticum recently bought and 32 others. I grow in a light stand so I have size limitations. From the middle of May to sometime in Sept. The plants are outside in a lath stand. That is what the attached picture is. I live in South Central Ont. Canada.
Looking forward to being a member.
Don

Attachments

• IMG_4168 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_4168 (640x480).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 46
Welcome, Don. John is correct -- when I joined a bunch of years ago, I only had a few slippers. The photos posted here have caused my slipper collection to grow exponentially! So be prepared.

Most of us here use an image hosting program, such as Photobucket or Flickr, or https://postimage.org and then link the photo to this site. You can have larger pictures that way posted her, and we will see your lovely lathe house much better. Did you make it?

Yes I did buy the bark, but I didn't buy all those plants at once. I did build the stand and a couple of years ago I had to shorten it buy a 2x4 because the top was decaying. It is wood and is quite old.
Incidentally Dot I have admired your photos on slipperinfo for a while now. I was trying to do what you suggested. Obviously I will have to work on that one.
Thank you everyone.
Don

Welcome to ST from KY. I'm 69 and I get the comment
about everything being two years ago. That's as detailed
as I care to get actually.

BTW, we love our Canadian friends here on ST.

Hi Don....welcome! I see you are from Guelph. We moved here to Arthur from Guelph three years ago. Have we met at an orchid show or meeting perhaps?

Hi Don....welcome! I see you are from Guelph. We moved here to Arthur from Guelph three years ago. Have we met at an orchid show or meeting perhaps?

Holy Cow it's a small world after all. I don't know if we've met. I just rejoined COOS last Sept. I was at the RBG show last Feb., but mostly to help set up take down the COOS display. I've never been to the Toronto show. I know it's a black mark on my soul. Maybe I'll remedy that this coming year.

Back