Really can't get straight answers on Floridas water sources.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kat

SW Florida.
Called the water dept. asked about the differences in the dual water vs our tap water. (Something about brackish water???)
Anyways, they kept switching me around to different operators and pretty much each had a diffrent answer about the water...who knows why? :crazy:
We have so many issues with water here.
I'm wondering if anyone in Fla. has searched the water source through and through.

Dual water? or tap water. I hear we have a RO water treatment for our tap water. Also heard not to use it...?

I really don't know now which to use, our tap or the dual water.

Most places in Fla. have water issues. If you look at a map of Ocala you see all the little circle lakes that are really sink holes from removal of freshwater. I would R.O. treat water and add the supplements plants need. Unfortunately that means spending money on filters.

Eric's suggestion is more than likely going to be the best end result.
:confused:How much would a water test run you? I wouldn't depend on what others say anyway, I'd want to know for my own sake. Some plants may have a tolerance for your current water but before investing in plants that may not, it might be nice to know where you stand. Good luck - we try so hard to have the ideal for our plants!

Warning - Adv, but pertinent to the discussion.

Most places in Fla. have water issues. If you look at a map of Ocala you see all the little circle lakes that are really sink holes from removal of freshwater. I would R.O. treat water and add the supplements plants need. Unfortunately that means spending money on filters.
I know this is going to be very ad-like, so I'll apologize right up front. (Just remember that my entire business is buying stuff I want for myself, but doing so at wholesale, then selling the excess at close to my cost.)

I was recently looking for replacement filters and membranes for my own RO system, hoping to get better prices than I can find locally. What I found is that most markups on RO stuff are immense, so to avoid that, I ended up becoming a retailer, and now offer significant breaks to orchid growers.

As an example, there is an ad in the new Orchids for a 65 gpd system for $345 + $12 S&H. With the prices I now get, I am able to offer a 100 gpd system for $199 delivered, and that price includes extra sediment and charcoal filters, and a filter wrench at no extra charge....and I'm still making some money at that. Replacement components are similarly discounted, and if you need a part I don't stock, I can probably get it.

As of now I won't be getteing a RO system so it's either tap or dual water.
Gotta make the best of it for now.

...still need to know if anyone has any sttraight answers on this area of Florida, water company is not answering.

RO Waste?

RO seems like a great bet, especially at the price of $199 for 100 gpd system - thanks Ray!! I was curious to ask those of you with RO systems what the typical amount of wastewater per gallon of "useable" water. I assume this varies based on initial tds readings, so assume about 300 ppm tds. Does wastewater amount also vary based on the age and use of the RO membrane? How long would a membrane last with 300 ppm water?

Basically I'd love to have good water for my plants but not at the expense of excessive environmental waste.

Thanks in advance for your opinions...

-Tim

Tim, the flush- to good water ratio is more a matter of system design, rather than original solids content, and it typically is in the range of 3:1 or 4:1. If you take showers, you waste much more water than that over time.

That "waste" water will contain 20%-25% more solids than the original supply, so unless you live with really hard water, it's still usually quite acceptable for other uses - watering non-orchids, humidification, and in my case, keeping a man-made pond full (the fish [introduced by me], frogs, birds, and deer don't seem to mind it).

It is also possible to get a so-called "zero waste" kit that pumps that flush water back into your hot water supply.

...still need to know if anyone has any sttraight answers on this area of Florida, water company is not answering.

The only way to REALLY know your water is to test it yourself before and after you've added your fertilizer. Sorry, but that's the best answer in any case, any location. Test equipment will be less than a couple nice blooming phal clones. Next time you consider buying a couple plants, slap yourself on the wrist and put that money in the equipment fund. :)

-Ernie

Basically I'd love to have good water for my plants but not at the expense of excessive environmental waste.
-Tim

Deionization (DI) systems seem no/low waste, but long term operating costs are higher than RO as the cartridges need replaced or regenerated. The regeneration process uses very strong acids and bases which certainly aren't environmentally friendly. At work, we have a very low impact/low waste system that (in order) softens, deionizes, reverse osmoses, then UV treats. Big $ though!!!

-Ernie

:wink: work where there's DI on tap...My backpack is almost always full, and it's not always books...I asked my boss, but other than that I don't advertise the fact - just steady myself in the elevator so ppl don't wonder what's so heavy it's putting me off balance:p Not a good idea for a huge collection, but until I'm settled down enough to spread out and get a GH and such, a water system of my own isn't practical/possible.

I think I was reading in a magazine about some of the water issues you are talking about, namely the dual water and regular water. I think the dual water was supposed to be used for lawn watering, nurseries and places where high water quality wasn't absolutely necessary but perfectly acceptable for non-human use. The regular was of course for personal consumption. If you were going to use a charcoal filter the dual use might not be too bad, though doing a test yourself like suggested before would be a good idea. Maybe find someone in the area that is using the dual water and get a sample from them, send it off to a lab or such. If not connected to home water, may work just fine.

I used to test my water with the same kits that I used for my salt and freshwater fish tanks, and that worked really well (that was before I bought an R/O filter... which I now use for cooking drinking etc. and love to pieces).

Deionization (DI) systems seem no/low waste, but long term operating costs are higher than RO as the cartridges need replaced or regenerated. The regeneration process uses very strong acids and bases which certainly aren't environmentally friendly. At work, we have a very low impact/low waste system that (in order) softens, deionizes, reverse osmoses, then UV treats. Big $ though!!!

-Ernie

That sounds like our system at work! I rob about 40L a week off it for my plants.

Dual water is what we have as well as city water. But I am wondering if anyone did a test ot compare.

By the way, um, yeah Ray it does sound like and is a ad. Make your own thread about it huh? :poke:

Thanks guys I will do a test, it's the only way to know for sure. I was just wondering if in fact anyone did have any results from Florida.

Latest posts

Back