Ray Rands

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the Orchid Zone got their original sanderianums from him as well...and paid out the nose. I believe they bought 3, and one died leaving 'Deep Pockets' and 'Jacob's Ladder'. If I misread the story, I apologize...and that's why 'Deep Pockets' got it's name from the price.

Jon
________
Mexico City Hotels

Last edited:
In Orchid Fever, it talks about 4: Deep Pockets, Jacob's Ladder, Daddy Long Legs, Deep Flight. No idea what happened to them, though.

There was a cloak-and-daggery article by Koopowitz & Hasegawa in AOS in which they talk about a "well-known Paphiopedilum trader" involved in the rediscovery of Paph. sanderianum and I suspect that to be Rands.

--Stephen

Jon in SW Ohio said:
I believe the Orchid Zone got their original sanderianums from him as well...and paid out the nose. I believe they bought 3, and one died leaving 'Deep Pockets' and 'Jacob's Ladder'. If I misread the story, I apologize...and that's why 'Deep Pockets' got it's name from the price.

Jon

speaking of jacob's ladder - anyone have any good, high quality images they'd be willing to share with me? i haven't had much luck locating good images of either it or 'rapunzel' - the two im craziest about.

Eric Muehlbauer said:
I have not ordered frequently from Rands, but his plants are generally good quality...although he has a tendency to play fast and loose with names...he was the one who claimed that my primulinum purpescens was a new subspecies, "liltii"....(he was my source also...and I still have the plant...). He became quite notorious in the late 80's for advertising a collected, 2 growth roth for $5000 in the AOS Bulletin...(rumor had it someone purchased the plant, at that price.....and it died...) the criticism was probably a major factor in the AOS adopting its "no collected plants" policy.......Take care, Eric

Hmmm, that's interesting. I have a plant also labelled "var. liltii."

According to Rands, who sold the "liltii"...(I believe he was also the one who named it...I don't recall his ever giving a citation for the name)...the difference between it and the normal pupurescens form is a slightly "orange" cast to the pouch...I'll have to look up the original ad...it was advertaised in the AOS Bulletin in the early 90's. I had posted a picture on the old OLD pictures forum, and I believe that picture can still be found on Troy Meyer's site.....I'm not so sure that I see any orange in it, but it is an attractive bloom. Take care, Eric

Here's an old pic of mine next to glaucophyllum:
primulinumglaucophyllum.jpg

I have a couple of his old catalogs, and I think I may still have them uploaded to photobucket, will take some searching though(since I have 3 accounts there).

Jon
________
Silver Surfer Vaporizer

Last edited:
I too have a Paphiopedilum liltii... the flower on my mature plant is the size of a half dollar... maybe a tad bigger (no, not you TADD)... anyone else have it THIS small? I can maybe see that it is in fact Paph. primulinum x Paph. primulinum var. purpurascens...

-Pat

Rands was a huge importer of paphs, probably the largest in the US for a long time. He did make some very questionable decisions about naming things, but then so do most growers.

And looking at some of his older ads in which he is selling BS multiflorals for $5 makes me want to cry.

--Stephen

...remember I told you about me contacting the RHS Registrar... apparently, that Paph. liltii is named after his dog... I am not sure if he owns a dog, but this is what I have heard... =)

-PM

Mahon said:
I too have a Paphiopedilum liltii... the flower on my mature plant is the size of a half dollar... maybe a tad bigger (no, not you TADD)... anyone else have it THIS small?
I didn't measure it, but the smallness was part of the "cuteness" factor that made me purchase it. That and the fact that it had two spikes. It bloomed for 10 months! I just recently broke off the spent spikes and repotted it.

Wogga said:
speaking of jacob's ladder - anyone have any good, high quality images they'd be willing to share with me? i haven't had much luck locating good images of either it or 'rapunzel' - the two im craziest about.

I think I have some scanned images lying around my pc--not sure where they came from and they are LARGE so I won't post them--if you want PM me with your email address and I'll send them along.

Latest posts

Back