Ray Barkalow’s presentation on ‘Understanding Orchid Nutrition’.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ray presented today for the Virginia Orchid Society’s monthly meeting and (to no one’s surprise) did an exceptional job!! We all know how informative/excellent his website, his products and his knowledge are. This was a continuation of that and excellent!!
Plus, I had the opportunity to meet another SlipperTalk friend ‘in the flesh’. Special day, thank you Ray!

It is given as a PowerPoint presentation, but the slides are more “bullet points” than content, which is the verbal part of the presentation. I'm not sure how much someone would get from the slides alone.

The only time I have permitted recording was when I did the talk on semi-hydroponics for the AOS, which I then retired.

What I would like Ray or other experts in the chemicals that plant (orchid) growers use, is to downsize it to the understanding/restrictions of simple in-house growers/small time collectors. I hear the word PPM my eyeballs roll backwards and I say, "Oh he means a teaspoon"-- meaning the language is adapted to the company/large greenhouse grower. I will never be that guy. I'll probably never own a greenhouse, and so on. I noted this when I bought Inoculcor from him. It came in a huge bottle for a huge greenhouse, not a tiny person with 10 orchids. It would be interesting to have a system that could be changed to the size of grower you were. (I ended up using the inoculcor on my rose bushes since it only lasts a year, As an enthusiastic but limited hobbyist, how can I make my life better? And yes, I think he, and others, should have Youtube shows. Even if they are lectures/slideshows (the most boring kind). I think that Bob, and Mygreenpets and Mis Orchid Girl and others are dominating. Bob is excellent. Some start then get busy doing other things. There was a guy in Spain, and then Here But Not. When I see one I hope he/she has some tips and hints that can help me learn.

What I would like Ray or other experts in the chemicals that plant (orchid) growers use, is to downsize it to the understanding/restrictions of simple in-house growers/small time collectors. I hear the word PPM my eyeballs roll backwards and I say, "Oh he means a teaspoon"-- meaning the language is adapted to the company/large greenhouse grower.
I understand what you’re saying, but I’m going to disagree with that statement. It’s one of the reasons I have issues with YouTube “gurus”, and some of them tell you to use “so many pms”, measured with a TDS meter, which automatically makes the number useless, while sounding authoritative.

If someone just says “use a teaspoon” without narrowing it down with more details, you really know nothing. A ppm is a true measurement of concentration, and it’s easy enough to convert that to a volumetric measurement. It’s analogous to me saying “the plant needs to be 15 degrees warmer”, without specifying the scale, only far more nebulous. With the scale provided, you can easily convert it to something easier to grasp.

Most online “instructors” tell you “what” to do, but provide very little about the “why you should” aspect. Unfortunately, that seems to play well into the minds of the “dumbed down society” we are becoming.

Incidentally, 8/%N in ANY fertilizer gives you the teaspoons per gallon for 100 ppm N. 9.2/%N gives it in ml/L. For example, with K-Lite, 8/12.9=0.62, which can be rounded to 1/2 or 3/4 tsp/gal, keeping you in the 75-125 ppm N range I recommend for weekly feeding. Had I just said “use one-half teaspoon” and you had Miracle Grow 30-10-10 on hand, you’d have fed your plants at 2.5x that rate!.

Thanks! You are thinking like a person comfortable with the math. As I said, some of us are not. It would be interesting if this could be translated to "drop per gallon" or something less erudite. That's all I'm saying. My plants are doing well, without all the PPM business.

Latest posts

Back