Rand Air Cone pot

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kelly's Korner advertises "Original" Rand Aircone pots. That's where I get mine. And, BTW, I don't have problem w/ drying out.
That's because you're growing in a water bath!

Funny, I get almost no algae, unless there's a lot of sphagnum in the mix!?
I get tons of algae because of the rain water and fertilizer. I think with city water supply you get little to none.

I use them for most of my phals, and if a plant gets so big that I have to use the huge 5 or 6" pots, I put an extra plastic mesh net pot upside-down over the air cone to eliminate a little more of the center media that could stay too wet. Only problem I've had is that so far I've used large chc's in the really big pots and seen some problems but I think that is from the really large chc chunks that possibly never get all the salts cleaned out of them. My venosa lately pictured I think I used all smaller chips and it is fine.
The pots may cost more, but you can use them over and over again. There are round pots out there that have sort of a raised bottom with lots of extra drain slots; if you wanted to buy them, you could get a bunch of really small net pots and put them upside down in the bottom to make a larger 'air cone'. Just fwiw; I use both.

Dredging up an old post...

Does anyone have any info on Ray Rands? Is he still around? Ulla Jurrissen formerly from Kelley's Korner was asking for some more info on him as a grower, since he was so into slippers. She's apparently now just selling the pots (they sold KK to Daryl Yeardon last year.) Ulla and Daryl are both members of my former society, New Hampshire, so I'd like to help them out if possible.

If anyone has an info can you post here or PM me? Thanks!

I love Rands Air Cone pots....need to get more. They tend to be a bit deeper and more rugged than the other clear pots I've used.

I love it too! Spent 30 for shipping. (More expensive than the actual pots!) But to me its worth it.

These pots are pefect for a diatomite mix. I just love seeing bright green hairy roots fill in the insides of the pots. I'll never use other plastic pots for my plants.

I'm curious if anyone has tried air pots before?

Air pots

Those pots were designed for trees. each little ''cone'' on the side has a small hole so as the root enters it gets ''air pruned'' and branches rather than spriralling round and round, so no good for paphs.

But what about basket pots. good for hot climate

http://www.orchidpotco.com/products.htm

I'm curious if anyone has tried air pots before?

Air pots

As stone allready said I've seen them used for trees as well in a Dutch gardening show. Trees grown in this pot grow a very dense root system and when transplanted in the soil after removing the pot they settle in a lot faster then with regular pots.

Those pots were designed for trees. each little ''cone'' on the side has a small hole so as the root enters it gets ''air pruned'' and branches rather than spriralling round and round, so no good for paphs.

Just curious why there "no good" for paph or phrags? Yes, I do know how they work as I have tomatoes growing in abed made with air cones. Orchid roots aren't air pruned like veggies or trees. Whats the difference between a basket and a pot with holes in the side and bottom? A draw back I see is that it may be difficult to remove the plant but all you have to do is unscrew the pot and remove the cones.

Latest posts

Back