Rand Air Cone pot

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

paworsport

Hi All

Do you use this type of pot for your paph culture ?

I have the opportunity to have some of these from a friend who will come to France. I already cultivate with translucent round pots and it s very helpfull to control watering.

Is square shape better for growth and particularly Rand Air cone

Thank you in advance for sharing

Ray Rands and pots

Well here goes - I 1st met Ray in 1986 - He lived on Mulhalland dr in L.A - You had to see the place - He was leading a lot of all the Paph Import action at that time - He was getting species no one had ever heard of - it was agreat time - then he started making un heard of primary crosses - and opened his mail order business - I still have some of his original catalogs - Everyone must have asked for plants - there must be thousands of orchid peole that have his imports - Re Rand Pots - It hit the business like a bullet - I bought many - If you look at the design - it made sense - He sold all the molds to other people - and moved the business to Malibu - I still think - the pots were great - and I say they forgave a lot of poor choices for potting materials at the time - Use the pots and choose your mix - j

I have use Rands Aircone pots for years now. I use to buy them whole sale from Richard Topper of Topper Orchids and Tropicals. He bought the moulds from Ray. After he passed on his son-in-law continued the business but I haven't tried in pass 6 yrs to buy anymore. So I don't know if they're still being made. The pots are great for good drainage and air movement in and out. You can also check on the root system through the clear pots. One drawback is the algae growth, it doesn't directly harm the roots but you can no longer check the condition of the mix or roots once it takes over. They hold up aganist sun light and they are great for bleach treating, wash and reuse

I agree with the others. I still use them in some cases. Just be aware that they tend to dry out a little quicker than your normal plastic pot. The watering schedule may change a bit. If you have a large collection; try it on a few paphs until you get the watering pattern down.

I have almost all of my paphs in Rands Aircones. I love them! THey do tend to dry out a bit sooner, but not a real issue because if you are paying attention, you can easily see when your mix needs watering.

Not sure if they are of Ray Rand's design, but I recently purchased a bunch of air cone pots from Charley's Greenhouse Supply up in Washington State. I don't have a link but I'm sure that a Google search will turn up one.

I repotted all my paphs into rands aircone pots this week, all of them in the exact same mix (the Koopowitz formula, small bark, sponge rock, and charcoal) so I can standardize my watering to a greater extent.

I must say the price of these pots have got up! If I recall correctly I paid 0.23 cents per 2.5 inch pots and $1.00 even for the 6 inch pots! One note; if you get the smaller pots most likely you will have to clear out the extra plastic in side slots with a razor blade or a sharp penknife. Never had a problem with the 4" or 6" pots

Has that design been used on tall pots? Eric

Not as far as I've seen, but that doesn't mean anything. The height is the only complaint I've ever had with these (and the bit of algae you'll get with any translucent pot that has already been mentioned). I have most of my paphs in these (a lot of phals too), but a smaller stash of taller translucent pots with no air cones for when I want more height but know going up a size in other respects would create problems. That's just me though--obviously they're a great product, so one more thumbs up overall.

Back