Questions re eBay slippers

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYEric

Reaction score
Someone has a Paph jackii for sale on eBay. Is this legal to obtain? Also, are we bidding against each other for the Antec Phrag compot, anyone want to go in together?

Chinese Green is pretty well known for selling plants that are illegal in the US, and they are wild collected. Jackii is illegal, especially if they are wild collected. ChineseGreen may claim to be located in NewYork, but they ship from China... so if you order from them and your package is inspected (they don't ship with CITES), Fish and Wildlife will pay you a visit and relieve you of some of your extra time and money.

- Matt

How are less knowledgable folks susposed to know if a paph is illegal or not? Is there a list posted somewhere? A visit from Fish and Wildlife may just cure me of my slipper addiction.
Sarah

A very goog point.
There is a list, but it's complicated, not easy to find and
confusing, even to people who know it exists and know what it
is used for. Plus, I don't think most hobbiest orchidists even realize
that some paphs are illegal.

I suspect a visit from Fish and Wildlife to most people might
cure their 'slipper addiction.'

CITES regulates all kinds of things and not just slipper orchids.
However, a lot of people don't even know that CITES exists.

I've always heard that 'ignorance of the law is not an exuse' but
I would hope that Fish & Wildlife might be able to tell the difference
between people who are trying to import illegal plants and those who
happen to unknowingly.

:(

Craig

On the other hand, that seems to be an intersting book being sold by Chinesegreen, although a bit pricey. Anyone familiar with it? Take care, Eric

Eric Muehlbauer said:
On the other hand, that seems to be an intersting book being sold by Chinesegreen, although a bit pricey. Anyone familiar with it? Take care, Eric

the orchids of china book is really great! my orchid society's library has it. i really, really, really like it. lots of great color photos, good descriptions, if i remember correctly...

I would not have a clue on the picture part (only been at this for less than a year). Normally I look up several pics on the web to confirm or debunk something like that. I am not interested in the plant so I did not put too much effort into it other than contacting her about her verbage, which was obviously incorrect to me.

i think i do in the picture of the actual auction plant.
the photo of the flower is definitely phil alba....

They say the flower picture is not the actual plant but the plant picture is what you will be getting. Although both pictures have plants in them it makes sense in a round about way. What does not make sense is this statement "No paph is a clone, so blooms can be variable".

Latest posts

Back