questions about the spikes

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philoserenus

the beauty of nature
Reaction score
i know that vandaceous types just spike from wherever from their monopodial stem when the conditions are right.

but...

is it true that for orchids in the pseudobulb-sympodial genera, each pseudobulb only spikes once before it's a goner?

are there exceptions to that statement, or are all genera like catts and oncidiums alliances, bulbos, and dends true to that statement?

I know some dendrobiums can bloom from previously bloomed old canes...but I'm not sure of anything else that can. Cattleyas, Paphs, Phrags, Oncidium alliance and most other sympodial orchids can't bloom from old previous bloomed growths. I might be wrong though, maybe someone else can back me up...

-Josh

They are all different. Most, if not all, of the Cattleya alliance blooms on the front growth and that's it. Dendrobiums can rebloom on old canes but from different nodes. Restrepias rebloom several times from the same growth. The Vandaceous plants pretty much rebloom from the same growth. Paphs, Phrags, the Oncidium alliance only bloom on the new growth although they do produce back growths.

They are all different. Most, if not all, of the Cattleya alliance blooms on the front growth and that's it. Dendrobiums can rebloom on old canes but from different nodes. Restrepias rebloom several times from the same growth. The Vandaceous plants pretty much rebloom from the same growth. Paphs, Phrags, the Oncidium alliance only bloom on the new growth although they do produce back growths.

True!

Ramon:)

hmm so there are exceptions and quite a few too, thanks for the info. b/c my worry is always if the orchid doesnt grow new pseudobulbs, then that means no more blooms for me. i know my dend kinganium has put out 3 already, but will they bloom more than once per pseudobulb or no?

I know some dendrobiums can bloom from previously bloomed old canes...but I'm not sure of anything else that can. Cattleyas, Paphs, Phrags, Oncidium alliance and most other sympodial orchids can't bloom from old previous bloomed growths. I might be wrong though, maybe someone else can back me up...

-Josh

I dont know about pseudobulbs but Tolumnia [Equitant oncidiums] rebloom on old growths.

Some Oncidium intergeneric also carry more than one spike.
I have a Vuyl. Aloha Passion that spikes again on the same bulb.

I have a small Paphinia which I thought was a goner. A freeby from EOM, only 2 small pseudobulbs, no leaves, although the bulbs were nice and fat. I put it in the back expecting to toss it out. Today I noticed 2 little new plants coming up.

LESSON: Don't give up too quickly.

Latest posts

Back