Questions about the rotschildianaum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rauhaariger

Reaction score
Last year my dealer offered vigorous and flowering rothschildianum. When they had faded and he hadn't sold them all, he gave me one. Now, however, I have doubts as to whether it really is a rothschildianum. She grows incredibly fast and meanwhile the leaves are getting wider and the whole plant is growing very compact. The faded plant had noticeably narrower leaves, around 5cm wide. Now they are almost 7cm wide.
Does anyone of you know similar clones?

614A2613.JPG614A2615.JPG

I have a couple rothschildianums and a couple crosses to be honest they don’t look like that. I’ve not seen rothschildianums with such wide, rounded leaves before.

I just went to Orchid Inn last week end and saw hundreds of roths NBS, none of them look like that. In situ, roths leaves can be as wide as 8 cm, but those are very mature plants. If you have the patient, just wait who know....

Had a few plants not just roth that had wider leaves and the growth was compact and my instinct was that genetically they will have wide and big flowers. Back on those days, we used to select seedlings with wider leaves. As it turned out, it was just the culture that made the difference, feeding, light, etc. Those plants grew like a normal plant for the type.
I had phals that grew compact, leaves where short but round. Ohhh, I thought they were something. As I was experimenting with my feeding, I noticed the new leaves started to grow longer and slimmer. Hmmm. Not that special after all.

Pending any further evidence to the contrary, I too am leaning towards a Vanguard or something very, very similar.
What ever the parentage, it is a very nice flower. Now that it is open, look at the dorsal. It is rounded and much shorter then a plain rothschildianum dorsal. Roth dorsals are getting broader but they tend to be much taller, more domineering. Roth dorsals stand very tall and erect.
But like I said, keep that baby around!!!

That is certainly a possibility as it occurred to me as well. I just did not feel comfortable saying one way or another without having written descriptions in front of me.
Maybe then I could decide.

Back