Question on resting period

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never let any of my plants to have rest before. Now, in Vietnam, I am a bit forced to let some have rest, and I found out that quite a lot of species, esquirolei, the parvis ( including huonglanae and hangianum), do not grow at all with the very low temps we get ( still watering somewhat actually), but when they warm days come, they start to grow at a very, very fast rate. For your records, this winter the temp drop to 5°C several days in the unheated shadecloth area ( greenhouse warm though), where pretty much all the parvis are, villosum, tigrinum, esquirolei, wardii, purpuratum... Most of the emersonii and hangianum have started a month ago to grow again, and I got about half a leaf over that time, if not 3/4 of a leaf. Maybe they need that rest period to grow really fast. Plus, the roots appear at that time too, abundantly. I have not lost a single plant that winter to that cold treatment ( but always treat your plants with insecticides and miticides if you expect hugh humidity or low temps, I think the N°1 killer of paphs are insects of all kinds, that wound the plants strongly enough so they get easily diseased...).

Latest posts

Back