Question on green pod times?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John D.

Need help from those with hybridizing experience.
I have checked “Barrys Orchid pages” for pod times and these are not listed.
Does anyone have a suggestion for green pod times or dry seed times for the following?

Paph Maudie types (vinicolored)
Paph primulinum
Paph vietnamense
Paph goultenianum

Look like from what Barry shows green pod could be 215-250 days with dry seed around 300-360.

Thanks
John

If I would have those plants I would harvest them after the following:

Paph Maudie types (vinicolored) 7 months
Paph primulinum 7 months
Paph vietnamense 5 months
Paph goultenianum 7 months

The Paph. vietnamense seedpods are one of the fastest to mature of all the Paphiopedilums I have seen, so keep an eye out, if after 4 months you notice it starts to turn yellow, it is ready. I harvested my vietnamense seedpods exactly after 5 months after fertilization (and I got lots of seeds to germinate). Keep in mind that maturation of seedpod is dependent on temperature. so if your temps are higher they may mature faster.

Robert

Thanks Rick and Robert the info helps a lot. I have been watching them and the viet selfing does seem to be further along. I didn't want to take them too soon and be forever in flask either. Are you starting germination in the dark for Paphs or is that not an issue? I have done mostly Phrags and some Dendrobiums so far. These will be my first Paphs.

I let my Paph's germinate in the dark. As soon as they have germinated you can put them in the light (mine are usually in the dark for at least 3-4 months).

Robert

oh dear,
I just repotted my paph primulinum and one of the pods went dry. I thought it KO'ed the pod due to repotting so I cut it off and threw it out.
Now looking at the times you mentioned above, I think it may have been ripe since I pollinated it last December. I still have two more, so lucky :)

Latest posts

Back