question for Dr Orchid and other breeders

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DukeBoxer

Reaction score
I have been thinking for a while about the trends in phrag breeding using phrag besseae and noticing that a lot of the crosses are back crosses with the parent plants, being species or other hybrids, and was wondering this. If you took P. besseae and crossed it with P. schlimii and got P. Hanne Popow with 50% of each species, then crossed Hanne Popow back to P. besseae and got St Ouen, with 75% besseae and 25% schlimii, what would happen if you crossed St Ouen back onto schlimii and had yet again 50% of each species? Would that garner a new Hybrid name or would it just be Hanne Popow again?

Anyone have any idea about that?

i am willing to guess that it would be a distinct hybrid and i feel very confident in this.
it would be a new hybrid because it's based on parentage not on percentage of parentage. (does that make sense?)

I have been thinking for a while about the trends in phrag breeding using phrag besseae and noticing that a lot of the crosses are back crosses with the parent plants, being species or other hybrids, and was wondering this. If you took P. besseae and crossed it with P. schlimii and got P. Hanne Popow with 50% of each species, then crossed Hanne Popow back to P. besseae and got St Ouen, with 75% besseae and 25% schlimii, what would happen if you crossed St Ouen back onto schlimii and had yet again 50% of each species? Would that garner a new Hybrid name or would it just be Hanne Popow again?

Anyone have any idea about that?

I may be wrong, but I think the result is:
37.5% besseae & 62.5% schlimii
it is a brand new hybrid.

Hanne popow= 1/2 besseae + 1/2 schlimii
St ouent= ½ (1/2 besseae + 1/2 schlimii) + ½ besseae
= 1/4 besseae + 1/4 schlimii + ½ besseae
= 3/4 besseae + 1/4 schlimii
Duke Boxer= 1/2(3/4 besseae + 1/4 schlimii) + ½ schlimii
= 3/8 besseae + 1/8 schlimii + ½ schlimii
= 3/8 besseae + 5/8 schlimii
Or 37.5% besseae & 62.5% schlimii

it will get its own grex, and is a distinct hybrid.
Genetics will not be 50% besseae + 50% schilimii like in math, these statistics are only interesting to look at, but the actual genetic makeup of each offspring will be different. If St. Quen is crossed with schilimii, it may get more besseae genes or more schilmii genes depending on what occured genetic recombination during meiosis of each gamete. This is why there is so much variation in the offspring.

it will get its own grex, and is a distinct hybrid.
Genetics will not be 50% besseae + 50% schilimii like in math, these statistics are only interesting to look at, but the actual genetic makeup of each offspring will be different. If St. Quen is crossed with schilimii, it may get more besseae genes or more schilmii genes depending on what occured genetic recombination during meiosis of each gamete. This is why there is so much variation in the offspring.

I think Fren is right, that the naming is only concerned with the parents and not the percentage. So to have a hybrid with different name but with similar percentage of Hanne Popow, we have to cross :
Duke Boxer (3/8 besseae + 5/8 schlimii) with another yet to named hybrid of (5/8 besseae + 3/8 schlimii)

Yes both Fren and Hien, is right.

Even if it would have been 50% besseae and 50% schlimii, it still would have been a different grex.

As an example:

If you cross Paph. micranthum to Paph. delenatii you get Paph. Magic Lantern (50% micranthum and 50% delenatii)

If you cross Paph. armeniacum to Paph. malipoense you get Paph. Norito Hasegawa (50% armeniacum and 50% malipoense)

If you cross Paph. micranthum to Paph. armeniacum you get Paph. Fanaticum (50% micranthum and 50% armeniacum)

If you cross Paph. delenatii to Paph. malipoense you get Paph. Lynleigh Koopowitz (50% malipoense and 50% delenatii)

Now comes the fun part. If you cross Paph. Magic Lantern to Paph. Norito Hasegawa you get Paph. Kenji Tsutsumi (25% micranthum; 25% delenatii; 25% armeniacum and 25% malipoense).

If you cross Paph. Fanaticum to Paph. Lynleigh Koopowitz (This cross has not been registered yet) you would get exactly the same percentages: 25% micranthum; 25% delenatii; 25% armeniacum and 25% malipoense; but yet this would get a new grex name! Even though it has the same percentages the plants will probably look slightly different (due to what Fren said).

New grex names are not based on percentages of the parent species, but on their direct parentage (hybrid or species parents). If a parent combination is new it will get a new grex name. If grex names were based on percentages of species in their ancestry the naming would become to complex; escpecially when species names keep changing (or 2 species become one etc).

Robert

i am willing to guess that it would be a distinct hybrid and i feel very confident in this.
it would be a new hybrid because it's based on parentage not on percentage of parentage. (does that make sense?)

Yes Mr. President, you also are correct.:clap:
By the way, how is the Iraq thing going for you lately?

Regarding Dukeboxer's original question. Is he kidding!?!?

i dunno. i do know that lots of people find the way plants are named confusing. when i give people tours of the greenhouse and try to explain how two different looking plants can be in the same genus just different species, i often get blank stares...
when they leave, they've either had enough of me and pretend to understand or they get it....

OK. Of course some of the plants may turn out looking similar to one of the parents, St. Eligious looks a lot like a Hanne Popow, but they all have the genetic balance of the parent plants mixed in.

I don't know if you saw my tour at the 2007 GNYOS show, but I started out at the fragrance table and named the major orchid family types Catts, Dendros, Phals, Ladyslippers, Cymbids, and Pleuros. Then I took the group to a Ladyslipper display :). I showed and named Cyps, Phrags, Paphs, Mexi's and Selipeds... I keep it uncomplicated for the common man and ask if there are questions at the end of every stop so I can get a little more in depth as nec.

Looking back on my question, I realize that the hybrid names are based on the parents and not the percentages of species in the hybrid. I think what I was trying to ask is that, by making these back crosses, wouldn't the flower look about the same as the original Hanne Popow. I just feel that phrag breeding has become a little redundant and most besseae hybrids look the same to me, with just the slightest differences between them.

-Josh

Yes, I agree with you Josh. That's why it's so nice to see some new alba breeding and the future potential of kovachii breeding.

Looking back on my question, I realize that the hybrid names are based on the parents and not the percentages of species in the hybrid. I think what I was trying to ask is that, by making these back crosses, wouldn't the flower look about the same as the original Hanne Popow. I just feel that phrag breeding has become a little redundant and most besseae hybrids look the same to me, with just the slightest differences between them.

-Josh

now i get it. because of the variability of seed grown plants, they will be, at least a little, different, though they will probably have lots of similarities. perhaps what i should say what smartie said in his first post in this thread....

Latest posts

Back