Question about wood vanda baskets

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Grandma M

I have left a message with 3 different vendors asking this question. No one has answered me so I'll try asking here. Hopefully someone will answer my question.

Will a 5" pot fit into a 6" octogan shaped wood basket? I have a couple of vandas ordered which I have been told will be in 5" pots. I would like to place the pot into an octogonal wood basket. I need to order the baskets and don't know what size to order. I'm not sure if the 6" measurement is an inside or outside measurement. I prefer not to use a larger basket unless necessary.

I prefer not to disturb the roots anymore than necessary, at least until they adjust to my growing area.

Marilyn

I think the basket size refers to the largest inside dimension, so it should fit. But wait for a more for-sure answer than mine.

My question is why would you want to keep the vandas in pots, when they really like to have their roots neked and exposed. You're kind of loosing the benefit of baskets by leaving them in the pots.

I see lots of Vandas growing just fine hanging from a wire with no media at all.

Rick

They are being grown in Hawaii now. I don't want to shock them too much by changing the growing conditions, and repot at the same time. At present, I do grow my vandas bare root with only lava rock to hold the plant in place.

Do you recommend transplanting them when they arrive? I really don't want to use a basket larger than 6" because of the space they would take. I grow in my home so space is important.

Now would be the time to put them into a basket and let them establish over spring and summer. I don't see any problem doing it now or maybe in a couple of weeks (since you're in MI). Michael

Now would be the time to put them into a basket and let them establish over spring and summer. I don't see any problem doing it now or maybe in a couple of weeks (since you're in MI). Michael

I agree if you are generally doing good with your vandas bare root now.

I see lots of Vandas growing just fine hanging from a wire with no media at all.

I have some of mine growing this way in my greenhouse. In my opinion the besket plays a minor role, if humidity is ok, just another way of hanging ; most of the roots will grow out of it quickly! If the plants are looking more or less healthy I would transplant them immediately.

Jean

I have some of mine growing this way in my greenhouse. In my opinion the besket plays a minor role, if humidity is ok, just another way of hanging ; most of the roots will grow out of it quickly! If the plants are looking more or less healthy I would transplant them immediately.

Jean

I agree!!

Ramon:)

Latest posts

Back