Question about phrags branching.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this is a pretty good question Gilda.

I have a richteri (amazonica). The plant under high light conditions got about as small as my larger peircei, and spikes would never branch, which is supposed to be a characteristic of the species that really separates it from pearcei. After moving it to a cooler and darker spot in the GH the plant went wild. Growths doubled in size (to a normal size for richteri), and about 1/2 the spikes are producing multiple branches.

Since this is the first year this plant has done this well, I don't have other plants of this species in different conditions, and some of the spikes are presently not branching, I can't say what triggers branching other than general plant health.

But it is pretty spectacular how just a move of 5 feet in the GH changed the growth and blooming habit of this plant.

It coould be both amount and type. According to Glen Decker's philosophy I was underfertilizing, but it if the plant's getting the same amount and type as before but not producing the way it did...? I don't know enough about the influence of light except that the overhead light obtainable in a greenhouse situation should produce more growths. IMO. :D

Gilda,
What type of fertilizer were you using, did you switch, or increase?
PPM Nitrogen?
Thanks,
AHAB

Latest posts

Back