Question about micrathum hybrids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Elena

Hi guys!

I have a Paph. Wossner Vietman Love (micranthum x vietnamense) which I received a few weeks ago in low bud. It started opening a few day ago but while the petals and the dorsal are doing fine the rather large pouch doesn't seem to be unravelling in a hurry. Do these generally take a while to open fully or do you think it's stuck for good? :sob: It's this plant's first blooming and it's a fairly large flower on a smallish plant so I'm not sure what to think.

Cheers!

Here's a picture I took this morning. Not sure if you can make it out but the pouch is still basically "folded". Boyfriend suggested I stuck a straw in it and blew :rolleyes:

PaphWossnerVietnanLove.jpg

I think that's the best it'll do this blooming. I'd imagine it'll improve greatly next time around. If you want to, you can cut off this "bad" bloom so that it puts energy into new growth.

It's not uncommon for first bloom seedlings to have deformities. In my experience it seems more common with Brachy and Parvi hybrids. If the flower has other redeeming qualities (yours has nice color), I try to rebloom them one or two more times to see if the form improves.

You received it in bud? Transport of a plant in bud, especially in the mid-growth stages, could conceivably lead to a deformed bloom, due to varying conditions (early bud stage it would probably just blast...). The color is great, so definitely hold on to it. If it looks just as defective on the next blooming, I'd be less optimistic...if you get it to bloom a third time, give it to a friend.....or your composter. Take care, Eric

Thanks everyone! I think it's safe to assume that it's not going to open any more. Shame as that pouch would have been huge. I was wondering if it was because I got it in bud but it was at the very early stage with the bud barey visible. I'm also quite paranoid about things rotting so I perhaps I didn't water it enough :confused:

Oh, well, I'll just have to try and re-bloom it.

Latest posts

Back