Question about fans

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
Okay, as I wrote in my Sad Paphs thread, it seems to be a humidity issue rather than a light issue that's making them sad.

The one that's worst off, my struggling roth, has now been tossed into my terrarium where I keep the humidity between 80-90% and the temperature (in the bottom of the terrarium), is 30*C and decreasing further up. I think this might help my weakling to make a second come back (since some moron managed to murder two of its new root nubs... ). For the others, I'm awaiting for the new filters to my humidifier to arrive so I can use it again.

Now though, I need some air movement in the terrarium so as not to lose the roth to something funny like fungi. I thought that a computer fan would do the trick, removed one from my old computer, and ran headfirst into the NEXT obstacle; me being technically challenged. So I trashed the computer fan venue, and then the next idea hit me; miniature fan!

I've now located a local store that sells miniature fans and I will buy three of these later today. My only concern is that they run on batteries, and I honestly don't like the idea of high humidity in combination with batteries...

Is it cause for concern, or should I just go for it? If it's cause for concern, I thought I could place the fans outside the terrarium at the air inlets.

What do you guys have to say about this idea with the miniature fans? It's, after all, thanks to you that my roth has made it so far and is still among us, so I value your input very much.

Ok, for air movement, a slight breeze will do. Dont get the battery one. You will want to run those fans 24/7 for air movement. Use the computer fan.

Thing you need:

80mm computer fan 12v
Ac adapter12v
Wire stripper
Electrical tape or wire caps

Just strip both ends of the wire. Just remember positive is to positive and negative is to negative. Sometime the fan will have a third wire it's the ground wire. You can ignore that since the ac only has two maybe, just wrap an electrical tape at the end.

P.s. I dont think its the humidity issue that cause them to flop down. Its either low light and/or lack of roots.

You can hold up the fans in parallel onto the DC adapter. The DC adapter can be from 6 to 12 V. If you use a 6 V DC adapter for the fans, it will run slower as opposed to the 12V.

What I mean by "in parallel" is hooking all the fans (+) ends onto the (+) of the DC adapter terminal. Then hook up all the fan (-) ends to the (-) of the DC adapter terminal.

Paphman910

I used a small computer fan on my 'terrarium' when I have de-flasklings. I leave a small gap (1-2cm) for air to get in the top and place the fan over the gap, at one end, so it blows into the terrarium. You just need a light air movement not a breeze. By being outside the growing zone the fan will last longer!

Woot! It's working! Yay! :rollhappy:

I go with the lack of roots. No roots = no water to support the leaves = flop.
Yup, that's exactly what the problem is and with too low humidity levels = not a happy roth.

Hopefully, it stands a chance now at least. :D

You can hold up the fans in parallel onto the DC adapter. The DC adapter can be from 6 to 12 V. If you use a 6 V DC adapter for the fans, it will run slower as opposed to the 12V.

What I mean by "in parallel" is hooking all the fans (+) ends onto the (+) of the DC adapter terminal. Then hook up all the fan (-) ends to the (-) of the DC adapter terminal.

Paphman910
The 12 V adapter didn't work since it was too customized to its original function, but I had a 6 V in a cupboard that I tried instead, and it works like a charm.

I'm glad you wrote I could use a 6 V adapter since it's what I had at home AND I think it would be too much air movement with a 12 V adapter (it's a small terrarium I have, and with this single fan, there's almost a gale blowing in there...).

Thanks you so very, very much for providing the nifty link in the other thread. We now have air movement! Weeeeh!

Latest posts

Back