Question about a Roth Hybrid used in a Delrosi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shade131

Reaction score
Just got a 4 fan Delrosi that looks like it's never bloomed. Tag doesn't say which delenatii was used, but the Roth was "Rex." Anyone familiar with that one? Hopefully its not know for being a reluctant bloomer....

It needs to be repotted so I'm going to do that and give it some time in my conditions. If that doesn't work, I'll try to make it think that the end is nigh. Let it dry, get hot, get cold, etc....

Even though its not a proven bloomer, $35 for a 4 growth plant is a gamble I'm willing to take. Got it from Paul Phelps at Phelps Farms. The other plants in the shipment were excellent. Good guy.

Paph. rothschildianum 'Rex' is one of the 'original ones'. Sort of. Back in the 80's or early 90's, the premiere and perhaps only grex you could get was 'Rex' x 'Mount Milais'. At least here in the US. I think it was made by Orchid Zone.
Many of today's modern roths descend from 'Rex'.

'Rex' is probably a harder to grow plant than a new line bred roth. So yes, Delrosi made with it might be harder. But, as mentioned, it is hard to begin with.

Thanks! Not exactly the news I was hoping for haha.... but at least now I know if it doesn't bloom that isn't necessarily an indication that I'm doing something wrong.

Yes, any of the parvi-roth hybrids can be tough to flower. Interestingly though I was flowering them with ease. Some clones were flowering multiple times per year. Then I replaced my glasshouse with a bigger one. Now, the same clones won't flower or only flower very sporadically. This suggests the conditions are the problem, not the clones. I can't pinpoint what those conditions are though.

Yes, any of the parvi-roth hybrids can be tough to flower. Interestingly though I was flowering them with ease. Some clones were flowering multiple times per year. Then I replaced my glasshouse with a bigger one. Now, the same clones won't flower or only flower very sporadically. This suggests the conditions are the problem, not the clones. I can't pinpoint what those conditions are though.

Hasn’t it gotten warmer in Australia through the years? Or your exhaust system keeps the temperature the same between the greenhouses? Any other differences?

Hasn’t it gotten warmer in Australia through the years? Or your exhaust system keeps the temperature the same between the greenhouses? Any other differences?

Yes, the temperatures are warmer now, more extreme temperatures at least. My new glasshouse is also better insulated than the old one as we have very cold winters here. But I found in my old glasshouse the Parvi-roth hybrids flowered at any time of year. As soon as the growths matured they flowered. This was unlike my other Paphs which are very seasonal. So I believe temperature and/or day length seem to have little impact on when these parvi-roth hybrids flowered.

My opinion is that whether older roth or newer roth has been used to make such hybrids make little difference when it comes to their willingness to bloom. It is just the genetic issues of mixing two very different things.
If a newer generation parvi x multi is easier to bloom, then we should see these plants in bloom more commonly. The reality says otherwise.
It's just a hope and a marketing gimmick. haha

You just have to get lucky with a plant that flowers easily or at least every few years, unlike so many that never flower or flower once and never again.

I have bought three mature sized Delrosi, made with a newer roth and a dunkel delenatii. All of them grew sheaths readily, multiple of them.
Only two have flowered for me. One of the two was a top quality, which I was VERY happy with!

Hi, David. I know you posted your Delrosi with lots of flowers on.
Also, you mentioned your Harold Koopowitz blooms freely. Definitely not seasonal.

Please think about what the main differences might be between your old and new greenhouse. :)
Or they just don't want to bloom any more whatever the reason? haha

Yes, the temperatures are warmer now, more extreme temperatures at least. My new glasshouse is also better insulated than the old one as we have very cold winters here. But I found in my old glasshouse the Parvi-roth hybrids flowered at any time of year. As soon as the growths matured they flowered. This was unlike my other Paphs which are very seasonal. So I believe temperature and/or day length seem to have little impact on when these parvi-roth hybrids flowered.

Hi, David. I know you posted your Delrosi with lots of flowers on.
Also, you mentioned your Harold Koopowitz blooms freely. Definitely not seasonal.

Please think about what the main differences might be between your old and new greenhouse. :)
Or they just don't want to bloom any more whatever the reason? haha

My Harold Koopowitz did flower freely. It has been a few years since I have flowered it. I love that plant too.

One difference is the new glasshouse runs East to West. The old one ran north to south. That could change the light environment. The new one could be slightly shadier. But then the leaves certainly aren't a deep green. They look like they are getting plenty of light.

Overall, the new glasshouse is warmer. I think the maximums are hotter all year. The minimums are probably the same.

Thanks, David.

I guess the changes not that significant, then. They might just be taking time off.
Some of my plants that flowered quite a few times in the past few years have not bloomed in the last two years.
Hopefully your plants will bloom again soon. Speaking of HK, mine is showing a low sheath! I hope it'll turn into flowers eventually.
I bought it as a medium sized seedling a few years ago, and now it has two large growths plus one small start.

Latest posts

Back