pygmy Drosera slideshow

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beautiful! do you grow them in a greenhouse?

nope, they grow about 4-6 inches under T8 lights, a gh would probably be better though. Even so they are pretty easy growers, and you can get gemmae (asexual buds) on ebay in the fall/winter very inexpensively.

Forrest

Cool. I just got a bunch of D. Lake Badgerup plants. My first pygmies! What is the mix you are using?

Cool. I just got a bunch of D. Lake Badgerup plants. My first pygmies! What is the mix you are using?

course sand and peat, about 50:50 on the bottom and transitioning to pure course sand on top. I usually give my cp's ro water but these are at my lab at school so they get amquel treated tap water just like my amphibians and seem just fine, as long as I remember to water them.

Forrest

i would love to get some more Drosera, but my average humidity is only like 50% and terrariums take up far to much room. Time to start a greenhouse fund:D

I find that humidity is not an issue with most carnivorous plants. There is lots of water around, in the media and if the pot is sitting in water, to provide localized humidity. I think that's all they need.

I find that humidity is not an issue with most carnivorous plants. There is lots of water around, in the media and if the pot is sitting in water, to provide localized humidity. I think that's all they need.

agreed, no greenhouse no problem.

I grow my D. spathulata with my orchids in my house under T5 fluorescents and it is doing fantastically.

Susan

seriously?!:eek:
last spring i tried to harden so off by very slowly removing the little terrarium cup things (they were the type from Lowes and other big box stores) very slowly and all was well until i completely removed the cup then they just shriveled and died even though they were in a shallow saucer of distilled water.

Nepenthes are the only ones that I have found need high humidity. If you get a new sundew, try putting it outside for the summer, and see if that helps.

seriously?!:eek:

Yes :D

r7vvuq.jpg

Susan

Susan, that is beautiful!:clap:

Kevin, if i put it outside it would be barbecued in like 5 minutes! temps are averaging at about 107 - 110 degrees right now and humidity is around 40% and, oddly enough, i think this is fantastic weather:D

Where do you live?! I don't think there is a maximum tenperature that the plants can stand. Just keep them wet. Which specific plants are you talking about? Think about the native habitat, and I'm sure it gets hot there too. If you grow your plants sitting in water, I'm sure you won't have a problem.

Latest posts

Back