Purpuratum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rudolf, I get more and more worried as we seem to have developed into some sort of continental echochamber?! :eek:

Jens, don't worry because we aren't an echo of each other but sometimes brothers in mind.....although we don't know us personally. Maybe there will be an occasion at the next Dresden Orchid Show, if there will be one some day?

Last edited:
Jens, don't worry because we aren't an echo of each other but sometimes brothers in mind.....although we don't know us personally. Maybe there will be an occation at the next Dresden Orchid Show, if there will be one some day?
I also would join you guys!

And another accolade to this beautifully shaped and colored purpuratum.

Last edited:
Maybe there will be an occation at the next Dresden Orchid Show, if there will be one some day?
Maybe the age old jewish greeting for orchidists should be changed to: "Next year in Dresden!".
In so far as all orchid shows and meetings for the present feel like the long lost, promised land and the new Jerusalem to come!

I also would join you guys!
Which would make us, transatlantically based enthusiasts, more than happy! Maybe we even could lure David (Monocotman) to get a visa, so he could join us from Greater Brexitannia?

Last edited:
In bloom.
How many days has this flower been open? I am going to break with the echo chamber and say while I agree about the color and color intensity, the flat dorsal is inappropriate to this, my favorite species. I will never understand the insistence among AOS and British/Euro judges that all slipper orchids become boring round moons, each like another. The dorsal of P. purpuratum ought to be celebrated for its predominating natural, characteristic, delightful turreted backfold and both my guess and hope are that this flower has only just opened and will soon present it’s true, insistently exotic beauty.

Last edited:
I am going to break with the echo chamber and say while I agree about the color and color intensity, the flat dorsal is inappropriate to this, my favorite species

Brucher, if you take a closer look at the photo, you will see, that the dorsal isn't flat - it has a nice curvature to it. I wouldn't actually have liked it, if it had been flat (and neither would probably, Rudolf? 😁).
I'm with you in your scepticism towards the fad and fashion in orchid judging for flatter, rounder, bigger seemingly without regard to the overall harmony and relative proportions of the flower.
I guess your prediction about the possible development of the shape of Dodi's flower might hold some thruth, though - and thus, that the flower in the near foreseen future will conform much more to your prediliction!
But to be sure of that, we'll need Dodi to be so kind as to provide us with an updated photo - in the due course of time, that is!
Whether or not, though, I will stick with my first impression: it's a darn good flower!

Last edited:
Sometimes purpuratums don’t recurve the dorsal, either genetics or environment. I had plants that did both on different bloomings.

In nature, it’s best they curve to drain water away from the pouch, or else the pollinators drown in the ‘swimming pool’.

I agree with most here that the turret dorsal looks more attractive on the species.

In judging, a preference is given to the natural look of the species, ie turret top, or else it may be a suspected hybrid (which may be passed for an award). Occasionally a flat dorsal slips by and is awarded but that is not the norm for this species.

Brucher, if you take a closer look at the photo, you will see, that the dorsal isn't flat - it has a nice curvature to it. I wouldn't actually have liked it, if it had been flat (and neither would probably, Rudolf? 😁).
I'm with you in your scepticism towards the fad and fashion in orchid judging for flatter, rounder, bigger seemingly without regard to the overall harmony and relative proportions of the flower.........
👍

Jens, I could write.......'I second this, not much more to say'...... but if I had done this I would be in the echo chamber. Lol 😀
So I gave you just a 'like' and think by myself.......I could have written almost the same to this issue.

Last edited:
I'm with you in your scepticism towards the fad and fashion in orchid judging for flatter, rounder, bigger seemingly without regard to the overall harmony and relative proportions of the flower.
I guess your prediction about the possible development of the shape of Dodi's flower might hold some thruth, though - and thus, that the flower in the near foreseen future will conform much more to your prediliction!
But to be sure of that, we'll need Dodi to be so kind as to provide us with an updated photo - in the due course of time, that is!
Whether or not, though, I will stick with my first impression: it's a darn good flower!
I reread my note and it sounds more negative than I meant it to. I just really, really love species orchids and this species, with its terrible conservation history, but easy-growing exoticism, is my favorite. This flower IS spectacular on its own. I do appreciate it. But I’m glad I’m not alone in preferring the typical turreted form. I have had a total of 16 clones of this species and all had the turret dorsal (except for two that throw crazy messed-up sport flowers). One of mine opens like this but then folds back about a week later. But anyway I love this forum and you folks for humoring my peccadilloes.

Last edited:
Sometimes purpuratums don’t recurve the dorsal, either genetics or environment. I had plants that did both on different bloomings.

In nature, it’s best they curve to drain water away from the pouch, or else the pollinators drown in the ‘swimming pool’.

I agree with most here that the turret dorsal looks more attractive on the species.

In judging, a preference is given to the natural look of the species, ie turret top, or else it may be a suspected hybrid (which may be passed for an award). Occasionally a flat dorsal slips by and is awarded but that is not the norm for this species.
Your perspective as an actual judge is amazing to have. Thank you! I never did suspect this plant as a hybrid, it looks just like one of my best that opens flat abs curls back after a week. Will be selfing this half-album soon! From Sam, tag reads “Paph. purpuratum x sib (‘Full Wings’ x var. album ‘Albino Beauty’ CBR/AOS).”

Attachments

• 324A0EC9-237A-4235-B08B-FD81E7B09CE1.jpeg
    324A0EC9-237A-4235-B08B-FD81E7B09CE1.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 4
I reread my note and it sounds more negative than I meant it to. I just really, really love species orchids and this species, with its terrible conservation history, but easy-growing exoticism, is my favorite. This flower IS spectacular on its own. I do appreciate it. But I’m glad I’m not alone in preferring the typical turreted form. I have had a total of 16 clones of this species and all had the turret dorsal (except for two that throw crazy messed-up sport flowers). One of mine opens like this but then folds back about a week later. But anyway I love this forum and you folks for humoring my peccadilloes.
Just for the record, be happy that we are discussing the turreted dorsal of purpuratum, that allows for Leslie to be so magnanimous - and NOT that of spicerianum where both he and I have deeply burried resentments for our splendid plants being deplorably slighted (for this I refer you to Leslie's thread on P. spicerianum 'Hercules')! 😁 😁

Back