Psychopsis versteegianum 'Perpetual' x self

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Per

Reaction score
Here is a little something that I picked up at the Virginia OS show in Richmond. Actually it is not that little; it's about 12 cm across. Although I know little about this species, that seems good to me:). Plus, it will continue to bloom for a year or more on this spike:D.

dsc01933ve6.jpg

Post a picture of the foliage. I bought one once just becasue the foliage was stunning. Wonderful spots of color on the leaves.

I hope this is what you are looking for Leo. I really love the shape of this plant, but the colors are a bit washed out on mine. Maybe too much sun?

dsc01938dj7.jpg

Still, I really like the flower!

P.S. Sorry for the poor photography; I am posting in between classes.

"but the colors are a bit washed out on mine. Maybe too much sun?" I find that the leaf color decreases with less light. Mine take a break from blooming in the winter months but my oldest one...4 years old, still blooms from the same spike that it had when I purchased it as well as from new spikes that have grown since then. They are wonderful plants...enjoy it!! I have a papilio var alba that is going to bloom soon!

Beautiful foliage. Psychopsis has solid green leaves but new leaves have red mottling that disappears when the leaf matures. Mine has pale leaves too, and even in the winter. These guys like high light I believe, so unless you are baking it in the sun, it should be fine

Thanks for the advice! I think that you have convinced me to move it to higher light this afternoon. I really hope to have a new growth soon, so that I can see this red mottling. I will post a picture when a new one comes up. Also, Ron-NY, when your alba blooms, I would love to see it. Thanks again.

I saw some color on your leaves, very pleasant. Don't make too drastic a change. It was happy enough to bloom where it was at. Don't over do it. Great job
Leo

smartie2000 said:
Beautiful foliage. Psychopsis has solid green leaves but new leaves have red mottling that disappears when the leaf matures. Mine has pale leaves too, and even in the winter. These guys like high light I believe, so unless you are baking it in the sun, it should be fine
Smartie that isn't the case with mine. The only one I have that doesn't have the mottling on the leaves, even the mature leaves, is the alba, which has solid green leaves.

Ron-NY said:
Smartie that isn't the case with mine. The only one I have that doesn't have the mottling on the leaves, even the mature leaves, is the alba, which has solid green leaves.
Me, too.

My Psychopsis has solid green leaves. Just some developing leaves has red mottling that disappear with age.
I wish my leaves were as nice as Per's. It's not the same either. mine is Psychopsis Mariposa (Papilio x Kalihii)

Latest posts

Back