Protocol when someone sells you an original awarded plant

Discussion in 'Judging & Awards' started by Tom Reddick, Jun 14, 2019 at 8:17 PM.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

1. Jun 14, 2019 at 8:17 PM #1

Tom Reddick

Tom Reddick

Tom Reddick

I was about to purchase an original plant that was recently awarded by the AOS and the seller wants to give me scans of the original certificate rather than the original itself. Also I would not be getting the award tag for the plant.

Seller is an established breeder of exceptional reputation - no worries there. But am I wrong to expect the original certificate?

2. Jun 14, 2019 at 10:58 PM #2

Bob in Albany N.Y.

Bob in Albany  N.Y.

Bob in Albany N.Y.

I do not think that you are wrong in expecting to get the original certificate. After all, what would the seller need it for? I'm sure you already checked this out but thought I would mention it anyways. Has the award been paid for? There are some people that get things awarded and never pay the AOS so the award doesn't stand. I can also think of one seller that doesn't pay for each award as it is given but rather waits until they have received a number of them and then pays up.

3. Jun 15, 2019 at 4:58 AM #3

Tom Reddick

Tom Reddick

Tom Reddick

Thank you Bob. Award was paid for and all. I did find out today that the laminated tag had been provided as well, but was just not affixed to the plant. In the Judging world, quality awards go to the plant and cultural awards (aside from ADs) go to the grower. And so if I can have the laminated tag and pdfs of the rest I am fine. I do not think that is too much to ask. We shall see...

4. Jun 15, 2019 at 7:26 AM #4

valenzino

valenzino

valenzino

is the whole 'plant or a division?if its a division the oriiginal award stays with the mother plant...to let others in future purchase other divisions and get a scan of the original award/photo of division with original award....

Silverwhisp and Paphluvr like this.