Project

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
Robin Street-Morris and I are working on a little project.

When I was putting together my presentation on slippers last weekend, I realized it would have been really nice to use all of her images for the types of different slippers in the family, but she hasn't done a Mexipedium or a Selenipedium yet.

We've got the Mexipedium down because she has great images to work from and also lives near Marilyn Ledoux from Windy Hill Gardens, but we're stumped on the Selenipediums.

Does anyone know ANYONE who grows them? I realize this is going to be a tough one but I thought there was at least one person who grew them well. We'd like to be able to get Robin in touch with him so she can do some research, so, if you can help, please post here or PM me or Robin (or both of us.)

Thanks!!

I've seen them growing in nature. I have pictures as well. Let me know if thats helpful.

Kyle

Try contacting the NY Botanic Garden....I think its Mark Hachadurian in charge...also check Jay Pfahl's site....................Take care, Eric

I have some really good flower and plant photos of the species that starts with an 'a'. I won't be able to send them until next monday.

KYle

Turns out I have a few in my email. Just flower pictures.

Solenipedium2.jpg

IMG_9640.jpg

IMG_9635.jpg

hope they help, let me know what other pictures would be helpful.

Kyle

It is certainly not as appealing as the other genera, to me at least.
Perhaps Robin can use her artistic skills to present it in its best light!

The plants are also about 10 or 12 feet tall. Some species are supposed to be taller. In the 20 to 30 foot range.

Kyle

Thanks Kyle—very nice! Would you happen to have a tighter view of the blossom and buds shown in the bottom photo, or might you have a larger version of that shot you could email to me?

I’ve been aware of the PhragWeb images and anything a Google search has to offer. We just threw the hook out to see if anyone had anything extra they wanted to contribute. More references are always better, especially with something I haven’t seen in person.

I can’t believe how tall they grow though—I don’t think I’d absorbed that about them. Incredible.

Latest posts

Back