Problem with Psychopsis mariposa 'Green Valley'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, it looks like either mealybugs or scale (some larval and fuzzy) at the base of the brown leaf. Doesn't really look like enough to do this to much damage on the leaves, though, unless they are feasting heavily on the roots unseen. I'd follow Ray's suggestion.
Sorry for my late responses. I was not notified about futher responses.

I do not have mealy bugs!! I can assure everyone of that. I am sure that the plant is still healthy. I have no idea what is happening but I just intend to observe for now.

Thanks for the advice.

I agree with the others. The plant is definitely stressed and showing this by losing leaves. Quite what is the cause is unclear! It Is quite likely to die if it carries on as it is at present.
I would cut off the flower spikes and repot and give the plant time to recuperate.
David
are you watering enough?
I have a psy. In the collection and had a similar issue. I found that every time I would water the plant would lose a new growth leaf. I finally worked up the courage to repot, what I’ve heard is they do not enjoy root disturbance And like to be pot bound. I potted mine in a shallow clay bulb pot. With a heavy helping of styrofoam peanuts on the bottom and a mix of small and medium orchiata or pinus radiata (kiwi bark), cut with perlite and charcoal.

Imo they need to breath a little and sulk when the media turns and they get too much water. Attached are pictures of mine. It’s in spike now, second flower about to open since repotting in February 2020. A few leaves got hit with a little mite damage In July before I could catch it.
I would recommend watering gingerly after repotting until the new roots establish.. And by that I mean only misting the sides and under the plant base Where the roots grow out..with a fine mist hand pump and hold back a true watering. That seemed to work for me. I still only water once a week at the most but can mist daily as needed.

View attachment 21780View attachment 21781
Wow, she looks very healthy. I am impressed.

are you watering enough?
Only when she gets dry. She is doing great with her roots. She is still healthy all over. Really firm pbulbs, healthy green spikes. One leaf has been dry and brown for four months now but her spike is still green and her pbulb is also green and firm. Just the dead leaf stubbornly holding on for dear life. If I pull it, it refuses to budge! She doesn't want to drop it. Very strange. So for me, since no one can definitively give me a fact about what is occuring, I am just going to wait and see. I actually feel better now ☺️

I agree with the others. The plant is definitely stressed and showing this by losing leaves. Quite what is the cause is unclear! It Is quite likely to die if it carries on as it is at present.
I would cut off the flower spikes and repot and give the plant time to recuperate.
David
Thanks for the advice. I am going to leave her be however and just observe her for now. If I see her start to deteriorate at a more alarming rate i.e., her pbulbs start to rot, then I shall remove and repot asap!

keep us updated, please
Will do. I have just had a look at her and surprisingly, she appears to be in full bud again. One bud is through the sheaf and the other two are just swelling up inside of theirs. The last time, the buds turned yellow and died. They had green leaves then, now there is two brown ones. Very strange.

I will let you know whether they bloom or not -

Last edited:
I have a psy. In the collection and had a similar issue. I found that every time I would water the plant would lose a new growth leaf. I finally worked up the courage to repot, what I’ve heard is they do not enjoy root disturbance And like to be pot bound. I potted mine in a shallow clay bulb pot. With a heavy helping of styrofoam peanuts on the bottom and a mix of small and medium orchiata or pinus radiata (kiwi bark), cut with perlite and charcoal.

Imo they need to breath a little and sulk when the media turns and they get too much water. Attached are pictures of mine. It’s in spike now, second flower about to open since repotting in February 2020. A few leaves got hit with a little mite damage In July before I could catch it.
I would recommend watering gingerly after repotting until the new roots establish.. And by that I mean only misting the sides and under the plant base Where the roots grow out..with a fine mist hand pump and hold back a true watering. That seemed to work for me. I still only water once a week at the most but can mist daily as needed.

View attachment 21780View attachment 21781
I have Psychopsis Mendenhall 'Hildos' which is growing well and has never had problems but I was told when I got it that it needs to be repotted annually because it does not tolerate either stale compost or mineral salt build-up. I use medium bark and the plant always dries out between waterings. When repotting I mostly drop the plant on to avoid too much root disturbance. So far, so good.

Well, she is blooming again - two buds, and has put out another new growth. The stubborn dead leaves are not going to be dropped. OK then plant, you do you. (Shrugs)

Attachments

• 16008517920016530518469828715537.jpg
    16008517920016530518469828715537.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 16008519045045888924552210642684.jpg
    16008519045045888924552210642684.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 9
I'm going to disagree with the apparent disdain for water.

I was never successful growing ANY psychopsis, but got a great deal on some plants to resell, so thought I'd try again. They all sold out and I decided not to worry about it. Several months later I saw a spike emerging from behind a bench.

Apparently, a plant had gotten knocked off the bench and fell into a S/H pot I had set on the floor after a repot. It got automatically watered every other day via an overhead deluge system, so rooted and grew just fine, eventually spiking and blooming in a constantly moist environment.
Hi Ray, Loved that story. Of my five Psychopsis two are now established in S/H and setting spikes, two are waiting to show new roots so as to be ready to transfer to S/H, and the fifth is in the ICU growing new roots after arriving with very few, dry and dying roots. My psys love water, humidity and good light. Your old friend, Bodil88

Latest posts

Back