Problem with dollgoldii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Troy, I'd still try that one plant with more light. Do you perhaps have a nice sunny window that you could put it in?

The explantion to the question you asked is too long to explain, besides I'm not a scientist, epsom salts mgso4 aids in absorption of other key elements

I understand that Troy. The point was that you can have perfect nutrition coverage but if the light is not adequate for that particular plant than you are missing a major component to properly growing a plant.

Your other plants may seem fine with your light but not all plants are the same. They may be surviving but are they thriving? Are the conditions maximized to help them perform at their best? Again, I think not. "In general" roth and roth hybrids need more light than what you are providing. Many very well established growers have suggested that it is a light issue. I dont think that throwing a very well respected grower under the bus is totally fair when you are not doing what is best for the plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only other thing I can do is set the light directly on the plant, also whether a grower is respected or not, every plant that comes out of a flask is not identical to it's sibling they are not electronics they are living things, do you not beleive that out of some flasks there is no possible way theresa would have a shitty plant? Face it I just got a bad one, if you don't beleive me I will post every plant I have how they are set growing in my grow area

The stretching of the stem is caused by a "hormone" imbalance. Low light levels result in a low production of certain hormones which cause an imbalance with other hormones and growth is altered from normal ideal form.

If your light intensity is on the low side of ideal for the individual plant it will/can cause the auxin level to be to high. A high auxin level will lead to cell elongation which results in a taller stem.

This could be aggravated by applications of products that contain high levels of auxins... like Kelp extracts. That's why the application of seaweeds often results in bigger growth.

Troy I'm guessing you are applying regular applications of Kelp or some bio stimulant.

(I'm using the word "hormone" as a generic term that refers to any of the natural PGRs.)

Even considering that your plant is growing a longer taller stem that does not mean that the condition is all that bad. The flowers may also be bigger as a result.

346d5ec50c95c350a06722ff2eff8f92.jpg

42efea8d382e0b64bc9bac40a06b6d25.jpg

I havn't given this dollgoldii plant anything different than my other plants for the past 2 years, it's not getting enough light, I will set a light directly on it, right now my 2 full spectrum 6500 kelvin 32 watt bulbs are 12 inches above the plant

You'd think being from Nor Cal he would be more chill :p

I just had high hopes for this one, maybe it will grow better for somebody else $5.00 + shipping it is roth 'early bird' x armeniacum 'golden globe'

It looks FINE! Paphs do that sometimes. It usually doesn't happen with the next growth, too. It's caused by something cultural.....basically, it's YOUR fault. That does not mean you're a bad grower, you're just not meeting the needs of that particular plant in order for it to grow a nice, compact leaf fan like you prefer. Stuff like this comes with the teritory. It's an uproven seedling. That's why you only paid $45. If it was a division of a plant that had already grown up and bloomed and was seen to be top notch, you'd have to pay hundreds for it. When you buy a seedling, you are "buying on spec". That is: (based on what you know of the parantage), you are speculating about what they will produce and since you like what you speculate you will get, you decided to buy the plant. It's NOT a matter of getting a shitty plant or not. What you got is a genetically unique individual plant that is unproven. That's what you paid for and that's what you got. Why all the bad temper? If you don't like speculating, never buy seedlings again. Only buy divisions of proven plants; but, be prepared to pay, big time for those!

So, YOU had high hopes. Is Theresa in control of what you think? NO! Plus, there's nothing wrong with the plant. It could very well grow a nice spike of fantastic flowers for you. It could very well produce a much more compact leaf fan the next time it grows one. It's a fact that certain wavelengths of light encourage "stretching" and others encourage much more compact growth. You need to do some research on your kind of lights and find out if there is an excess or deficiency in the light colour quality. Bad-mouthing Theresa is unjust and downright stupid. If you were my customer, I'd refuse to sell you anything else, ever again.

When I bought it 2 years ago the crown was stiff like it was going to flower then it did this ever since, so I guess I messed it up from day 1? And if my culture is so bad why are all my other plants fine, why doesn't anybody admit there are good and bad seedlings in a flask, I only started using kelp max the only hormone infused fertilizer I use this year, this stretching started 2 years ago

Calm down. You know the answer. It's no one's fault. It's the plant! lol

The only part I would consider unjust or rude was when you said "being sold a piece of ****" that to me sounded too harsh as if the nursery intentionally gave you some rootless plant covered with mealy bugs, and still won't admit or apologize.

I hope Theresa doesn't read this comment. She is a nice pleasant person and donates to our forum, too.

We all know that there is always uncertainty with living things.

While I would also prefer plants that grow "flat" for aesthetic reason, and better grower, your plant other wise looks fine.
I have plants of the same batch ( Parvi x multi) that exhibit differences. It is only expected.
Some are growing multiple growths, and one is still a single growth after three years.
I have a paph that are getting strong light right by the window and stretch like your plant.
Coincidence or not, but it also happens to be an armeniacum hybrid (x hang). I have two others of the same cross, and one is in sheath. Yay!!! And has wide leaves. The others all have narrow leaves like armeniacum.
I also have had ( currently one) a couple of Maudiae hybrids that did the same thing in the high light. The ones in quite a bit of shade grew fine except the leaf size of certain plants got huge. Could have been the age too. Not sure.

I've seen your other plants. They are being grown well.

The only time I blame the nursery is when the plant comes with lots of bugs or lots of disease marks.

If I'm not happy with plants two years after the purchase, or even two months, you can't blame anyone. Especially when the plant is fine, other than being very slow and not looking completely normal.

Well dick buchter and I both bought one, we thought mine was going to bloom because of the crown swelling so instead of blooming it just expanded aarrgghhh, I admit it could partially be my fault, the last year I started using kelp max every other month and inocucor once a month

Give the -plant to someone else, Troy, today.

Everyone here seems to be forgetting one of the most important rules for orchid culture:

"The main reason plants (orchids) fail to flower is the absence of differentials between daytime and nighttime temperatures, summer to winter, of about 10° for a period of several weeks."

Light is critical, but so is air movement and proper watering technique.

Well dick buchter and I both bought one, we thought mine was going to bloom because of the crown swelling so instead of blooming it just expanded aarrgghhh, I admit it could partially be my fault, the last year I started using kelp max every other month and inocucor once a month

Muchas hormonas.

A. If you apply the wrong hormone at the wrong time you can cause a developing bud to become a leaf instead of a flower. (bad)

Same hormone

B. If you apply the right hormone at the right time you can cause a flower bud to grow a leaf. (good)

Kelp contains hormones and don't assume that growth results will always be what you desire.

my day temps from 12:00 p.m. are 88 - 90 my temps and humidity are very regulated, my lights are on for 13 hours off for 11 hours the temps start dropping at about 8:30 p.m. the lights go off at 7:30. by 2:00 a.m. the temp is 75 at time off lights on at 5:30 a.m.it is 72

Latest posts

Back