probably overdue Roth repotting

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My heritage-plant P. rothschildianum is still potted in the pot in which it arrived 3 years ago...I think it’s time to repot. Meant to this spring but, you know, COVID. Any recommendations on mix? Grade? Should I get a bag of Orchiata and if so, what should I add? Not a lot of experience with Orchiata but I like that it’s so durable. Window grower, Chicago, using RO/K-lite (mostly; some tap). It’s in a plastic nursery pot; I’d love something more attractive but for such a big plant. Thank you!

Lots of people love orchiata although I'm personally not a fan. For me in the greenhouse it just dries out way to fast. I prefer the old rexius bark. Truthfully I have about 6 or more bags of orchiata just sitting in my garage. However, when I help others repot they want to use the orchiata.

I have done really well with Power size Orchiata. About a 10-1-1 mix of Power, Charcoal, and Sponge rock. As Bob said you have to water frequently as it dries out quickly, especially when it is brand new. But it holds more water over time.

I like that I can keep a plant in Orchiata 2-3 years before repotting. Some recommend top dressing with oyster shell as the medium ages to keep up the pH, but it hasn't been a problem for me.

Sam Tsui uses Kiwi Bark and says he likes it better than Orchiata.

I use pure Orchiata and I'm very satisfied. But as already said you have to water a lot, especially when newly repotted.

Latest posts

Back