Prized Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi heather, actually i use canned, i agree with kavanaru. i usually use dole, always the ones that come in juice not syrup. 1 can has the perfect number of slices for an 8" round pan!

hi kavanaru, i'd have to agree that the quintessential pineapple upside-down cake has those maraschino cherries, but i don't really like the taste or all that artificial red dye and high fructose corn syrup. so, i don't put them in.

Can I ask a question? You use fresh pineapple, right?

i usually use dole
Mom!? Is that you!? :rollhappy: my mom swears fro Dole as well.... :rollhappy:

i don't really like the taste or all that artificial red dye and high fructose corn syrup
Finally, someone who understands me... as a child I was forced to eat them... Now I deliberately put them aside, and my mom does not complain anymore (but she rolls her eyes, when she see me doing that!):clap:

Folks, we're on page 3 here!
Can't someone just post a recipe that could be argued about?

Here in Europe most people have never seen a socalled "Prized Pineapple Upside-Down Cake", let alone tasted one.
So, how do you do it? I don't want to have ask Mrs. Google!

i've never understood the 'secret' recipe concept... if you aren't making a profit from it or you regularly enter your recipe in a contest where you are going to win something, isn't it better if more people can enjoy something? keeping something to yourself like this to me sort of seems like a warped thing that only humans can do so well... sort of like saying ha ha I have this really nice thing but i'll get more enjoyment out of teasing you because you don't have it and have a nice day

can't tell i've been spending lots of time baking in the sun at work, can you? ;)

dehydration has an adverse affect on me lol no personal offense, thanks for showing us the cake :)

Here in Europe most people have never seen a socalled "Prized Pineapple Upside-Down Cake", let alone tasted one.
So, how do you do it? I don't want to have ask Mrs. Google!

hehe.. indeed... ok, I do not have my mom's recipe, so I cannot post it here... but I can tell you that she's made it twice while I was in Germany, and not even a single german liked it! All complained it was too sweet... to which I always had to laugh, because even those who loved "Bienenstich" said it was too sweet, and the pineapple cake is NEVER sweeter than Bienenstich :rollhappy:

After watching that video, I know I'm definately on the side of the germans who don't like that cake, because of sweetness! I love pineapples but that is just to much sugar added!!

Wendy, it is actually not sweeter than any other german cakes... it is just a different kind of sweetness... on te other hand, it is made to me eaten in small slices, and not the big chunks of cake normally served in german speaking countries (include now Switzerland and Austria)

Well I'm surprised and flattered that there is so much interest in my pineapple upside-down cake!

And glad to find others that do not like maraschino cherries!

I think the recipe Dot linked is very traditional with cast iron skillet and all. I think my recipe is not as traditional, with the glazed pineapple much easier to make, but the cake much more time consuming.

If you happen to find yourself in southern CA, you are warmly welcome to our humble home for tea and cake and orchid talk!

Latest posts

Back