Prince Edward of York first-bloomer

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Ed M

Paphiopedilum Prince Edward of York may be the finest of multi-floral Paph hybrids, a primary cross of Paph. sanderianum x Paph. rothschildianum, registered in 1898 by Sanders. A perfect pairing which produces huge stately flowers.

This is a first-bloom seedling from a compot purchased from Bob Wellenstein a few years ago. Two are in bloom right now, this one with the darker flowers has petals 12 inches long, and the other has petals almost 14 inches long.

Prince Edward of York was four years old at the time this hybrid was named for him. He became King of England in January 1936 after his father died and then abdicated his throne in December in order to marry a divorced woman.

Attachments

• p_princedwardofyork2011A1.jpg
    p_princedwardofyork2011A1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 83
  • p_princedwardofyork2011A2.jpg
    p_princedwardofyork2011A2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 65
  • p_princedwardofyork2011A3.jpg
    p_princedwardofyork2011A3.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited by a moderator:
that's a high quality one for sure. very nice. i have a couple that should hopefully bloom soon, i have been waiting a looooong time for mine.

Four flowers on the first bloom= high potential. Very nice example. Thanks for the bit of history too.

Thanks all. ;)

NYEric, from the Wikipedia article which you cite: "He was the eldest son of the Duke and Duchess of York (later King George V and Queen Mary)... As a great-grandson of the monarch in the male line, Edward was styled His Highness Prince Edward of York at birth." After his abdication of the throne he became Duke of Winsor.

and as we know Windsor is just arround the corner from Wisley Gardens and Ascott. I guess one could end up the Duke of some place worse (like Birmingham or Manchester):D:poke:

Back