primulinum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trithor

Chico (..... the clown)
Reaction score
A first flowering. This is the first seedling from a flask bought a few years ago. They were very fast growing at first, but then suddenly the brakes were applied and they seemed to stop any further growth:confused:. At long last one has bloomed, worth the wait I think.

That is unquestionably very nice, but like so many primulinum now, I doubt it is just primulinum. In a few years when full genome sequencing is cheaper and faster...

Fortunately I know it is a pure primulinum as I know the provenance of both parents

Then it is even more impressive.

Personally, I'm not sure I would even trust the provenance of a primulinum I collected from the wild myself in the last 35 years. But I'm a born skeptic, and a cynic by experience.

Personally, I'm not sure I would even trust the provenance of a primulinum I collected from the wild myself in the last 35 years. But I'm a born skeptic, and a cynic by experience.

Wow!:eek:

We all are:) half the time I don't even believe my wife when she insists that she is my wife!:rollhappy:
Makes life more interesting, a new date every night!! :)

Gary, Does the flower have any scent to it? If it is straight prim then its a very good one. Its these white pouched ones people post I'm leary of.

Gary, Does the flower have any scent to it? If it is straight prim then its a very good one. Its these white pouched ones people post I'm leary of.

Sorry Rick, I have not sniffed this one. The pouch is not very white. The foliage is quite different from Pinnochio (which I assume is everyone's concern), also the bloom is significantly smaller.
I am happy with the provenance of both parents, although, the point is well made that how do we know that they were pure primulinum to start with. The reality is that some years ago when we were buying lumber in Borneo and Indonesia, it was way cheaper for locals to collect rather than artificially propagate. Added to that, a road side stall in the middle of nowhere would be more likely to be selling a bottle of good champagne than an artificially propagated primulinum (and trust me, no champagne was available!). So I can only assume that the parents were collected at some point by the stall owners and not artificially propagated although that could never be 100% excluded even 25 years ago.

Any of the rest of the flask ready to bloom? Maybe pollen from this one onto another and you will be well on your way to line breeding. Then we all have exclusive rights to buy from you only.
PS. Some experts from the past here on ST claim prim's are fragrant.

Latest posts

Back