Previously bloomed sanderianums

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo Schordje

wilted blossom
Reaction score
My choice, one of these 6 sanderianums for only $125. These will be send without flowers, as the flowers damage so easily. All have second growths developing. These should rebloom in 2 years. Flowers should improve over this blooming, and they are already pretty good.

Some of the flowers in this photo already have had their petals prematurely shortened, and one has a bent dorsal. I am clumbsy. :eek:

Later, when I have time to process the images I will price individual clones with their photos.

It was fun having the chance to see so many side by side. I was surprised that this group of seedlings, from three different outcrosses using 4 different parents was so uniform in appearance. Five had 3 flowers per inflorescence, one had 4 flowers. Of the 8 that bloomed in January 2011, 3 had 4 flowers per stem. On the next blooming, I would expect more with 4 flowers per stem.

sanderianum-6 firstbloom-July2011.jpg

sanderianum-6 firstbloom-July2011b.jpg

That is awesome Leo, what is the range of leaf span on these beauties?

And when did they originally come out of flask?

Thanks. The leaf span is running about 16 to 24 inches. They are not huge plants. I treat them more or less like Paph stonei, but I keep them in more shade & a bit wetter.

Last edited:
Thanks Leo

How old are they?

6 to 9 years old.

The crosses were made from 1998 thru 2000, at least 5 different combinations of 4 selected parents. They came out of flask in 2002 to 2005, then spent 6 to 8 years at a contract grower in Hawaii. Half came back to Chicago area around Thanksgiving and the rest came back end of March. These were owned by my friend Fritz Schomburg, I acquired some both at Thanksgiving and end of March. So I really can't take credit for the growing, the last couple months I have not been able to keep the humidity up where they need it for really long petals. I also cracked more leaves than I care to admit. :eek: Sanderianum leaves are very hard and brittle if the plant is happy. I am discovering just how clumsy I am. :eek:

The contract grower wasn't cheap, so these prices I have been offering means I'm not making more than $25 per plant. And they require extra time to box up as they are so brittle. But I need to make space. I have the two I want to keep for myself, the rest must go.

Back