preview: MK 'Heavy Metal'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it is B/W! My husband's blacksmithing journals have tips for photography & they suggest B/W over color, so I had to give it a try!
No rust problems??
Not at all! A common wax type finish used in blacksmithing is the final step. These pieces would never go outside, indoors only as the finish would not hold up. He started with roses, we have several which are a 2-3 years old & not a spot!

Oh my my my, I lust for that metal iris more than I lust for P. St Ouen "Sweet Ice". Truly a work of art.

Lovely tile Slipper King. I've not seen anything like that before. Very well done and somebody spent an awful long time cutting those ceramic pieces.

I have four more species Paphs that I've cut out, three of which are on my bedroom floor, stonei, parishsii and delenatii. Paph liemianum makes the 4th on the floor. I haven't decided where to put Paph micranthum v. alba yet, maybe the shower wall.

Slipper King! You are the somebody who spent an awful long time cutting those ceramic pieces. I'm told it is very hard cutting tile. Very nice work. I'd like to see the others you set.

..... Lovely tile Slipper King. I've not seen anything like that before.....
....because he did it! At first I thought it was painted on, as I've seen artists that do that!

Nice iron work Rose. Check out my tile. It should look like Paph liemianum if you use your imagination
Lovely! Please show us more! I would have said prim, it would be hard to get the color/shadings of liem. How long did it take you? Many people comment how they would want one of these metalworks but don't realize how long it takes. As far as I'm aware, he has 3, 6-7 hour days in MK so far. He can do a single rose in about 4 hours now & they go for $180. The first ones are all a learning experience as he goes, so it always takes longer. The price on the first ones are usually cheaper IF he's willing to sell it!

It takes me about a month, parishii was longer. My daughter, the artist draws the flowers/ plants out on the backgroung tile first. I've been using 12" X12" tiles times four. Then I transfer/ trace the flowers onto tracing paper. Cut each individual flower segment out and then re-draw the segment back out onto the chosen tile, either ceramic or porclein tile. At this point I use my Dermel tool with a straight bit to etch the tracings into the tile before cutting with the wet saw. Here is parishii on my work table and you can see where my daughter has drawn the flowers out with a red sharpie.

delenatii on the work table. stonei

Did you notice my jaw drop? FABULOUS! The parishii is O-O-S!
There was a time my hubby dabbled in stained glass, your material is much harder to work with!

Latest posts

Back