Preparation for Transportation

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Belton

Reaction score
I think this is the correct section of the forum.

You can see from the pic that at some point when I was getting this plant home to take to my society meeting the next day, one of the flowers got a bit bent up. I'm not sure if I hit it, it was the wind, or maybe bouncing in the car. It was only for the club show table, and everyone still loved it. So no big deal, but it made me wonder how some of you might protect your blooms from this sort of thing when taking them to AOS judging. Maybe I'll want to take something one day. Best to ask now rather than regret not asking later.

chdbroken.jpg

A big box of cotton wool that many vendors use to ship is
always handy to have around and a very tall box in which
to pack the plants. Actually, the "wool" is some kind of
synthetic and I always save it when getting a package.
If you can't find a very tall box, try using shipping tape
to make two boxes into one tall one.

Also you should always stake your flower spikes, so they don't bounce too much during transportation.

Robert

Stake the spike, and put a stake in the middle that stands over the top of the flowers by a few inches. Drape a plastic bag over that to protect from cold and wind.

A big box of cotton wool that many vendors use to ship is always handy to have around and a very tall box in which to pack the plants. Actually, the "wool" is some kind of synthetic and I always save it when getting a package.

Thanks for the tip on the "wool". I'll have to start saving that packaging material for re-use.

Latest posts

Back