Potting Question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I can't find the right size clear pot,I use jiffy peanut butter clear containers,and cut off the bottom,leaving the lid to be drilled for drainage.If I need more drainage,I loosen the lid.when I need to repot,I undo the lid ,and push from the bottom.(lid end)

I like clear pots so I can monitor root development but I prefer them with no slots to minimize roots growing out of the pot. If I have a clear slotted pot that I want to use due to its size etc, I'll nest two in one so the slots are blocked.
You're roots look awesome! But there doesn't appear to be a lot of aeration. I wonder how you're able to get them to thrive when your media looks so dense...

You're roots look awesome! But there doesn't appear to be a lot of aeration. I wonder how you're able to get them to thrive when your media looks so dense...
To be honest, aeration isn't something I've really considered :rolleyes: The medium is 100% Orchiata.

What's your temperature range, relative humidity, frequency of watering, and chip size?
Orchiata classic/fine, I water every 4-6 days, and the temperature range is 15C to 22C, or whatever my home is heated or cooled to, as they're in my main living space. I was using distilled water while living in Toronto, not sure why exactly, but I only have a few plants so the added cost wasn't significant. Since moving to Vancouver, I had read about the great tap water quality and switched them to tap.

Amazing, nothing out of the ordinary but you have extraordinary results. Anything special with fertilizer?
Oops, forgot the fertilizer! I use liquid Dyna-Gro Grow, 7-9-5, and a bit of garden lime. I've never measured pH etc, but I'm thinking I might start.

Incredible really. Is this plant a hybrid?
I purchased it as p. micranthum from an orchid show & sales in Toronto ~2009, but I don't recall the name of the seller. Here's a picture of the one time I successfully got it to bloom in 2012 for your assessment. Since then there's been a lot of moving, and subsequent blasting :(

Attachments

• P1020737.jpeg
    P1020737.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back