Potting Question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some paphs in Air-Cone pots, but that's as close as I come. Those are potted in a mix of 50/50 LECA and Grodan Rock Wool Mini-Cubes. All others are in Semi-Hydro culture.

For me, slotted pots would dry out too fast.

I use clear slotted pots because I like seeing roots. The only thing that bothers me is that some roots escape through the slots and I don't quite know how am I going to proceed when repotting.

They come off when you pull the plant out of the pot. Most of the roots stay inside. I also noticed the roots grow toward the edges of the pot and the slots more quickly than in a clear pot without slots. These pots have a raised center with slots on the inside.

I have never had a case where very much root grew out of the pot. I have mostly paphs & phrags and the roots stop growing once they exit the pot. I just squeeze the pot gently to loosen the plant & potting material so it's easier to remove.

Even if you are going to break the pot, the gentle squeezing loosens up any roots on the pot.

I have never had a case where very much root grew out of the pot. I have mostly paphs & phrags and the roots stop growing once they exit the pot. I just squeeze the pot gently to loosen the plant & potting material so it's easier to remove.

Even if you are going to break the pot, the gentle squeezing loosens up any roots on the pot.
Thank you Paphfreak, but when roots are inside the pot?

The only slotted (somewhat) clear pots I use on my Paphs are Rands Aircones. I do use other clear pots that are not slotted and provide just drainage holes on the bottom. I have never had a problem with roots growing out of the pots. When repotting I run a dull knife around the inside of the pot to break any clingy roots loose. Rands Aircones are virtually indestructable and somewhat expensive. I prefer not to have to cut them off.

I like clear pots so I can monitor root development but I prefer them with no slots to minimize roots growing out of the pot. If I have a clear slotted pot that I want to use due to its size etc, I'll nest two in one so the slots are blocked.

Attachments

• IMG_0047.JPG
    IMG_0047.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 24
I like clear pots so I can monitor root development but I prefer them with no slots to minimize roots growing out of the pot. If I have a clear slotted pot that I want to use due to its size etc, I'll nest two in one so the slots are blocked.
I use clear plastic (no slots) for the same reason, and because I tend to overwater in the winter if I’m not careful. However, sometimes I think I underwater as I rarely see roots like yours on Paphs or phrags. On catts in 7”- 8” pots, I put a 2” plastic net pot upside down in the bottom to give more air to the center. (Keith Davis’ recommendation). Sometimes catts take off and grow beautiful roots after a repot, other times I lose the old roots and only have the new at the top of the pot, so they are over potted. I’m thinking of switching to clay with bark mix for catts, but am on the fence because I don’t want to have to increase my watering interval to a crazy pace in the summer. 🙃

I use lots of translucent slotted round plastic pots with the diameter at 3in & 4in.
I use 4inch pot for initial compots. I also use 4.25 round clear plastic pot (not side slots), but it cost more and takes more potting mix which also adds cost and not necessary. 4.25in pots are for larger plants for me.
When I separate compots, some large seedlings go into 3in pot on its own or I would put two mid-sized ones in 3inch pot.
I mostly reshuffle the seedligns according to sizes and pot them up in 4inch pot.
These two pots are perfect for me.

I also use 3inch slotted round pot for other things like Neofinetia falcata and Cattleya seedlings.
Because of this, I have a box full of these two. :)

Latest posts

Back