Potting Question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

PhragNewbie021

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Do anyone here use clear slotted pots to grow their Paphs & Phrags? Thanks Joe S.

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
ST Supporter
Reaction score
I have some paphs in Air-Cone pots, but that's as close as I come. Those are potted in a mix of 50/50 LECA and Grodan Rock Wool Mini-Cubes. All others are in Semi-Hydro culture.

For me, slotted pots would dry out too fast.

paphfreak

Reaction score
I've been switching to clear pots. I use some slotted. Potted this pearcii about three weeks ago. They are great for viewing roots.

Attachments

Anca86

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
I use clear slotted pots because I like seeing roots. The only thing that bothers me is that some roots escape through the slots and I don't quite know how am I going to proceed when repotting.

paphfreak

Reaction score
They come off when you pull the plant out of the pot. Most of the roots stay inside. I also noticed the roots grow toward the edges of the pot and the slots more quickly than in a clear pot without slots. These pots have a raised center with slots on the inside.

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
ST Supporter
Reaction score
I use clear slotted pots because I like seeing roots. The only thing that bothers me is that some roots escape through the slots and I don't quite know how am I going to proceed when repotting.
I break up the pot so the root system remains intact.

Latest posts