Possibly the rarest Phrag in Australia

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephan

Reaction score
Phrag exstaminodium

Phragexstaminodium1.jpg

Cheers
Stephan

Very nice!

It may be the rarest Phrag in the world. Its habitat in extreme southeast Mexico is rapidly being clear-cut and not many are in cultivation.

--Stephen

that is one of my absolute favorite phrags, but then again, i like freaky things...
i've tried to find one up here, but to no avail...

Several flasks of P. extaminodium went from Paphanatics in California to Australia. (back in 1997-1999, I was involved tangentially with making sure the pod ended up at a Lab that could produce seed) I never owned the parent plant, only visited it at the home of a 'collector'. Only one plant produced the seed. There are progeny in the midwest, new york, missouri and california as far as I have been able to track. Even though only one plant was brought in, its progeny are still around. I doubt there are many - if any, jungle collected plants left in cultivation. A fiendishly difficult species to keep going over the long term. You might do fine for a few years. Then decline and death set in.
If you have one, baby it.
Leo

Hi Leo - Well still have 6 plants here thanks to you but

they don't seem to be able to give any seed -have podded two as you told me with ph balance way back when - lost one plant completely after flowering and seeding -the one we seeded last season has flowered again this year but only 1 flower not too healthy so we've opted not to seed this year . we will continue to grow our plants on -but like you said are hard to keep going - other plants are 2-3 growths now but no spikes only one flowered this season . your notes has been read a million times -to ensure we keep it alive . nice to see your name up on the board .
Billie western aust

Hey Billie,
Good to see your post too. I had computer problems recently, lost some of my old emails. Glad you still have a couple plants. Talk with Marilyn Ledoux. I saw her plants last month and they looked pretty good. She might have better insight than I do. You can contact her through her website.
http://www.orchidmall.com/windy.hill/index.htm
Thanks
Leo

Latest posts

Back