Popow- usa

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacqi

Reaction score
I was recently on e-bay and noticed this vendor selling plants.
I am curious about them. They seem to be a German based company with
a US location. Has anyone felt with them? If so what is their plant quality?

Popow is indeed located in Germany.

I believe these listings are from a friend of Popow in the US, who helps with shows etc. As you may have seen, many of the listings are for delivery in the future. Popow is coming to a couple shows in the US and that corresponds to delivery. So I don't believe they have any significant growing facility in the US.

Popow Orchids is definitely reputable. You should expect quality plants. They are arguably one of the best sources of rare plants.

I was recently on e-bay and noticed this vendor selling plants.
I am curious about them. They seem to be a German based company with
a US location. Has anyone felt with them? If so what is their plant quality?
Yes , I got a Popow plant from this ebay vendor around the summer ( Popow was at these two Florida shows)
I also got a few plants from Popow throught Springwater orchids around the same time.

Popow is indeed located in Germany.

I believe these listings are from a friend of Popow in the US, who helps with shows etc. As you may have seen, many of the listings are for delivery in the future. Popow is coming to a couple shows in the US and that corresponds to delivery. So I don't believe they have any significant growing facility in the US.

Popow Orchids is definitely reputable. You should expect quality plants. They are arguably one of the best sources of rare plants.

Thank You for the info.
For the record I am also looking at some of your plants.
I'd like a Paph. philippinese, but I have had trouble with paths. in the past.
How are they grown?

Thank You for the info.
For the record I am also looking at some of your plants.
I'd like a Paph. philippinese, but I have had trouble with paths. in the past.
How are they grown?

Best grown in an open compost -- I use medium bark ( 14mm ) and a good helping of perlite in plastic basket on a heated sand bed. This way the compost is virtually dry the next day so this way you can water almost every day with every other day giving the plant a good flushing so the next time you feed you will not be adding too many salts. Written quickly so I hope this makes sense!!

Ed

FWIW I have brought up the name Popow twice now with some old timer's and I have caught some serious ****. Apparently there was a Popow (well before I was into orchids) that was an absolute crook who stole plants from the jungle etc.
I explained that I have only heard of Alex Popow via media and I have no clue about such activities. I was told to steer quite clear of the family name.

Not sure if they are related, and frankly I did not pursue the story's as the mention of the name was enough to elicit a very unwanted response.

Is there a different Popow from Germany, or did these cats used to deal in some shady business?

JAB

Popow and son. There will always be contention about jungle collected plants, but name one plant that did not originate from the jungle. People who got the first hangianum or delenatii vincolor did not complain when they bought the plants; those who did not get them could.

Unless you are sure, why do you even bring up the negative details here?
I don't think that is fair nor respectful.

I concur with what Eric says.
I am against jungle collected, more precisely "over" harvesting thus driving these plants to extinction or nearly so.

The sad reality is that it just keeps on happening and anyone including us hobbyists involved in buying and growing orchids are one way or another responsible and guilty of this.

Now, let's get back to the main point of this thread.

I am placing an order with Popow this week. All orders have to be in by Wednesday night. Please PM if you want to add to mine.

I am sharing my experience. Sorry if you do not like it, but I have every right to share what I experienced. Imagine how surprised I was when talking to two different well known, well respected old time orchid cats about getting Paph's from well known (I thought, well respected) orchid breeders, then I mention a simple name and I actually get a lecture!
There is obviously something to the "stories" as Eric obviously knows something.

I must admit I have grown a bit tired of the orchid community and its snoot. There are a few shysters in this biz and no one wants to mention such things to beginners. Apparently we have to waste time, and money on orchid vendors who are sub par to say the least. Then one mentions their bad experience and the old timers chime in "Well yeah, they screwed me 20 years ago and I never went back." Perhaps if folks were a bit more forth coming about your experiences bad and good, then some of these business' would not be around anymore and the good ones would be even more successful.

JAB

Hey Jake
IMO the issues with Neboska originated out of a bit of jealousy, misunderstanding and 'perhaps' collected plants, or ones that failed to have all of the documentation stating that they were free and clear. IMO that is also impossible if the authorities want it to be. I do not know all of the details but his business was raided as a result and some 800 plants were taken. This was many, many years ago. This may or may not have been legitimately addressed by the authorities or they may have had just cause. I am indifferent either way.

Their business on the other hand is superb. The plants I have received have been exceptional on each and every occasion. A few species did look a little rough compared to others but that is also expectable with ones like violascens and papuanum.

A few peeps here got some from me last year. They may have some feedback as well.

Bottom line, well worth it all around!!!

Thanks Chad. Good to hear.
I was a bit taken aback by the reaction I got for sure.

F' the oldtimers' reactions. Popow has some plants that are very difficult to get and he was definitely the first to offer. If they wanted the plants they would buy them, bet on it.

PoPow

I am placing an order with Popow this week. All orders have to be in by Wednesday night. Please PM if you want to add to mine.

Thank you for the offer. The plant they have on E-Bay is Paph. fairrieanum dark
x micranthum. They do not have a pic listed. I wonder is it a mottle leaf?
They also had a pretty neat Paph delanati alba I was interested in but its off
of E-Bay.

Thanks Chad. Good to hear.
I was a bit taken aback by the reaction I got for sure.

Oh I forget, I did mention this ebay vendors, Thanh from Springwater orchids, but I did forget to mention that I also get some Popow plants from Chad as well.
From each person , I got what I can from what that person imported at the time

I met and spent some time with Alexeji at the Tokyo Orchid Show this year. He is a very nice and knowledgeable young man and my impression is that he's a 'straight up' kind of guy.
Forget the past and focus on his current behaviour.

I contacted Popow orchids via their German website as I am based in the UK and Boscha was in touch with me. I was wanting quite a number of their rare Paph species seedlings and asked about the crosses used for the seedlings but they are very slow in responding via email...... Anyone every ordered directly from them in Germany?

Leeaun send me a PM with your email. I can put you in contact with someone that can help secure an order for you. He is in the states but does sell and import for them here. That should help you at least get confirmation of an order, expected shipping, ect.

Chad, leeann is in Europe.

Did you try to use the email provided by JC (orchid zone) in this thread?

Until I got that email, I couldn't get hold of them. They didn't seem to be too quick in response (I think he had some health issue around that time), but they responded within a reasonable time, and I did get nice plants earlier this year.

Latest posts

Back