Ponthieva racemosa - the shadow witch orchid

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
This afternoon I had the opportunity to accompany a couple professors out to a local mill pond where this little gem can be found. This species is found all through Brazil and South America up through Central America and reaches its northern terminus in my area.

pracemosa1sp7.jpg

pracemosa2jp9.jpg

pracemosa3wp6.jpg

pracemosa4xh3.jpg

pracemosa5ri9.jpg

Thanks for looking.

:drool::drool::drool:

Nice! I love the last photo - it gives a nice profile of the shape of the column. Great photos. Any foliage this time of year?

Thanx for sharing. There is a plant that grows on my Dad's lawn that looks like it could be an orchid; how do I look it up?

See if a local library or bookstore has a book on native orchids. Using a regional plant key will also help narrow it down to a species for you, but they can often be tricky to use if your plant is indeed NOT an orchid because you're faced with it being one of several hundred other native plant families.

See if a local library or bookstore has a book on native orchids. Using a regional plant key will also help narrow it down to a species for you, but they can often be tricky to use if your plant is indeed NOT an orchid because you're faced with it being one of several hundred other native plant families.

They live in the sticks. At least to me. I've only visited once and didn't have time to visit library, next time if they're in bloom I'll take a picture.

Latest posts

Back