Pollination

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenjamman

Reaction score
Hey All!

This is my first time pollinating Paphs. I pollinate three different complex paphs, took fresh pollen from one, and applied it to the underside of the stigma. Which was very tricky without damaging the flower. How do I know if pollination worked? In my other orchid species, you see the change in the flower within a few days. But I have read that paphs do not act the same way and the flower does not begin to die off within a few days. I have more pollen so I can try again. Any guidance would be very helpful.

Hey All!

This is my first time pollinating Paphs. I pollinate three different complex paphs, took fresh pollen from one, and applied it to the underside of the stigma. Which was very tricky without damaging the flower. How do I know if pollination worked? In my other orchid species, you see the change in the flower within a few days. But I have read that paphs do not act the same way and the flower does not begin to die off within a few days. I have more pollen so I can try again. Any guidance would be very helpful.
Hello greenjamman
The length of time between pollination and the flower fading is variable in Paphiopedilum to say the least. Since 2015 I’ve made 142 crosses that failed to produce a pod and 225 crosses that produced a pod and made it to the lab. Of the ones in the lab many don’t germinate. Probably the biggest problem is lots of crosses can’t be viable due to genetic differences. You don’t know though unless you try it... sometimes a few times lol. In my experience It can take a couple weeks for the flower to fade after pollination especially if the flower had just opened. As BrucherT and Greenpaph have stated the process is typically about a week
The two flowers in the attached photo were pollinated on January 11th and the photo is from today January 14th. No sign that either flower is fading yet. The flower on the right opened about one month ago and I pollinated it with pollen from a flower that was fading already. I will take new photos as the process moves forward.
EF46B995-0C92-4E56-93C8-075DDA55B749.jpeg

Last edited:
Both flowers today January 17th. So there you have it with this cross... the flowers are fading at 6 days. Now let’s see if the pods hold.
4B1E86AF-E926-4AA2-8CE9-59497F198688.jpeg

Latest posts

Back