POLL! Paph. dianthum - Double Spike - S/H Repot?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Heather Move her Paph. dianthum to S/H?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heather

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
I have a 7 growth Paph. dianthum that has been in sheath on two growths since last JUNE (ya! no kidding!) and I've been wanting to switch it to S/H (I have two more to do) and am just getting to it today. Well, of course today, for the first time, I can finally some freaky bud action.

Some additional information:
It has some new root growth
It also had soft scale for months -one here, one there - nothing major, nothing lately, but I'd like to get it out of the media finally.

So, the poll is - should I switch it over or wait?

I say wait till it gets done blooming and then move it over.

In my ever so humble opinion, repotting is bad for buds. However, in very low spike it's far less of a risk. I still say wait it out, although if your head explodes, the presence of blooms or lack thereof will lose some of its importance.

--Stephen

ok, those are double ended questions.... and the second choice... you know about repotting vs 'bottie' retentiveness :poke:

so, I couldn't make a choice...

but I would leave it be until the flowers have done their bit...

It doesnt matter what we say, shes going to do it anyway and not tell a soul if the bud blasts :poke:

I would leave it alone...not worth losing those buds...especially after waiting a year

bwester said:
It doesnt matter what we say, shes going to do it anyway and not tell a soul if the bud blasts :poke:

LOL!
No , I will do as you say - I had no time to do it yesterday anyway....So, I guess I'm waiting! The other plant I haven't yet done is my tigrinum - same situation but still just a sheath. Almost a stem...maybe....wishful thinking?

I agree. Wait. Then maybe don't do it at all. Many of my Paphs didn't like S/H -- too much moisture continuously on the roots.

I have to admit that I am only neurotic about a few things...and repotting plants is one of them. Everything I get is moved into my medium pronto, bud, spike, or whatever. I think if it's healthy and you're gentle, it doesn't hurt too much. probably sets back the really close to BS plants a little as energy is diverted to roots for a little while.

Heather, are you having problems with CHC? I'm just wondering because you used to talk so well about it, and I'm kind of worried now as most of plants are in a CHC mix.

adiaphane said:
Heather, are you having problems with CHC? I'm just wondering because you used to talk so well about it, and I'm kind of worried now as most of plants are in a CHC mix.

No, not at all Tien. Other circumstances have come into play.

I moved recently and have found watering a challenge.
So I switched to S/H.

Also, I started buying mix from a source where I had previously gotten all the components of the mix (and mixed it myself) and I started having a recurring problem with this ugly grey fungus in the mix. I repotted, and it came back, and I kept repotting and I came to the conclusion that since the mix I had used before (which still had plants in it) was not getting the fungus, that the mis was the problem. I've been going through so much mix, I figured it was time to try something different.

In my original mix, my plants thrived but i will clarify that I only grew my Paphs and my long petaled Phrag. species in this mix. I grow all of my besseaes and their hybrids in a seedling Paph. mix of small fir bark, perlite, and charcoal.

Hope this helps!

I have NOT repotted. I will take a photo now...won't be good due to light but...you can see it is still in the square pot.

5c5decf8.jpg

Latest posts

Back