Poll on Patricipants

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What action should be taken?

• Nothing. Folks are entitled to their opinions.

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Administrators should send them into a "time out", during which they cannot post.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Administrators should ban them altogether.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Members vote to decide which of the three previous options should apply.

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interested in seeing the opinions of the regular members here:

If a member repeatedly causes or incites major disagreements over non-orchid-related subjects, what is your preferred action?

I think there is no action required.
Forum members should bear strayed mainstream opinions.

I like to discuss and correct them and I am happy no more to live in the year 1500. I would end on a stake very quickly.
In this forum I am only liar, a racist, a Nazi, a troll or what ever.

I think polotics and and reference to politics should be removed from this orchid site!! All of it!! There is enough of those people stuck on their opinions to start a political website on a whole different server completely

We have been through this a few times.
And the decision was to open a separate space in Off Topic for posting this kind of themes. Those who don't want to read this, don't need to!

But Ray's question, as I read it, is not as to close this section or not, but how to deal with participants 'who incite mayor disagreements'.

As I have no problem with controversial opinions, I won't vote. My concern is rather how to deal with users who participate not out of a genuine wish to share their points, and find new insight, but with the aim to provoke and disrupt regardless, just because they are allowed to it, just because they can.

I recommend administrator should ban users who call other users a liar, a racist, a Nazi, a troll or what ever.
By Germany law that is culpable.

I think polotics and and reference to politics should be removed from this orchid site!! All of it!! There is enough of those people stuck on their opinions to start a political website on a whole different server completely

If Your general interests are limited to orchids only read the orchids part on this server.
Where is Your problem with that?

Ultimately up to the admins to decide whether these non-orchid sections should be maintained or not.

As for the wind up merchants, the best policy is to simply ignore them. They crave attention good or bad. Don't give it to them, and they might get bored and go elsewhere.

I think the current setup works just fine. I see little contentious behavior outside of this area. I must admit that even the most offensive post frequently have an element of truth to them. If you are easily offended or don't like associating with people who have different views, you don't have to read or post in this area. That said, I am a little disappointed at the name calling. Mike

I'm for doing nothing so long as the spat is not in the orchid sections. I'm kinda fed-up for the socially disruptive political rubbish and so I simply don't bother to look at those posts. While my gut wants to click the "Administrators should send them into a "time out", during which they cannot post" I would rather have free speech than tyrannical censoring.

I think the current setup works just fine. I see little contentious behavior outside of this area. I must admit that even the most offensive post frequently have an element of truth to them. If you are easily offended or don't like associating with people who have different views, you don't have to read or post in this area. That said, I am a little disappointed at the name calling. Mike

I don't police the politics forum. I don't have time to babysit, nor do I care to read any of it myself just to see if someone misbehaves. If you don't like it don't participate (Troy and Ed I'm a bit surprised about your responses here as both of you participate!)

With regards to other areas - as Mike said, there is little contentious behavior.
If things get out of hand they are sent "out back". Or, if warnings don't suffice, the member may be temporarily banned. If the behavior doesn't improve after the temporary ban is lifted, the member may be banned for good.

If there are any questions please re-read the forum rules. If there is something I have missed, please report the post.

I voted for the first option as there was no option for doing away with the political section...if there was no political section...then I wouldn't be tempted to answer. The political section on ST is a bit of a joke...it's pretty much the only place in my life I interact (online that is) politically...not sure why I keep doing it..it's like having that orchid you really like but when you sell it you forget you ever had it...that's how I think of ST ...when I stop growing orchids ..this place wont matter to me anymore

I recommend administrator should ban users who call other users a liar, a racist, a Nazi, a troll or what ever.

What about idgit, moron, foozle and attention whore? Just remember it only matters as deemed fit, and popularity has its side affects.

Don't say that!!! Have no Schöllkraut (Chelidonium mayus) over here!!!

Let me tell You a short fable:

Once upon a time there was a German guy, who could not find a job in Germany. He was frustrated about Germany, all Germans and himself. So he decided to leave Germany.
He moved over to the Spanish island Gran Canaria, started a new hippie life and began to become a do gooder. He likes to get on the nerves of everybody in the rest of the world by internet.

Latest posts

Back